Bedrock and Aluminum Pool Fence

Old 08-08-22, 10:39 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bedrock and Aluminum Pool Fence

I am about to install my first ever fence around my newly installed pool. Watched several videos and am normally handy so even though I am bit nervous I want to attempt the install. There is one problem though that I am going to run into. The pool area is in a lot of bedrock and I know this because they needed to jackhammer a lot of it just to get the pool installed. I want to be prepared the day I plan on starting so I want to know what the best way I can anchor my 2x2 aluminum posts into that bedrock if I can only get down 6 or so inches? I would hate to invite a few friends over only to figure out I need special order parts in order to get the job done. Any suggestions would be greatly appreiciated!

Old 08-08-22, 11:08 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,564 Votes on 1,406 Posts
Do your 2x2 posts have an anchor brackets at the bottom where you can install bolts? If you do have brackets I'd be prepared to hammer drill and install anchor bolts in the rock. Get a box of washers you can put underneath the brackets as spacers so you can get the post to end up being vertical.

If no brackets I'd look for some heavy walled steel pipe that can fit inside your fence tubing. Then core drill the rock. Epoxy set the steel pipe into the stone. Then when it's cured slip your fence post down over the steel pipe. You could do without the steel pipe and epoxy the aluminum post into the stone but it may have a reduced lifespan.

Old 08-09-22, 04:16 AM
S
Thanks Pilot

There is no bottom bracket, just square pipe all the way down the post.

That seems like a reasonable idea, would I need to use galvanized pipe? Do i need to worry about galvanic corrision?

Old 08-09-22, 09:17 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,564 Votes on 1,406 Posts
Yes, anything to delay corrosion/rust is a good idea. Hot dip galvanized would be the best but even a good coat of paint can buy several more years.

Yes, galvanic corrosion will be an issue. I'm not sure it will be much worse than regular corrosion though, but both will be working to eat the metals. How bad will depend on your location and how wet the area is. If you live in a dry climate steel touching aluminum could last half a century or more. If you live on the beach and get salt spray and high humidity it will have a shorter life. You could embed an aluminum rod in the rock but that will be more difficult to find and not as strong. If using aluminum I'd go with thick wall tubing or use solid rod. Stainless steel would be another option but also more difficult to find and more expensive.

Round tubing of almost any material will be cheaper than square tubing. You will have less installation issue with round since it doesn't have to be perfectly rotated to accept the square posts.

sgruver78 voted this post useful.
Old 08-10-22, 08:05 AM
S
Thanks again for this remedy, I will look into pricing.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: