Replacing an elevated post base

Old 09-04-22, 04:25 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing an elevated post base

I've discovered an elevated 4X4 post supporting a roof overhang is badly corroded and I'd like to replace it before it fails. The 4X4 post is still in excellent condition. The post is 15' long, it also supports a deck beam and our house is on a moderate slope. So it's going require relatively complicated temporary shoring for a do-it-your-selfer like me. So I'd like to get some feedback on an alternate repair I'm considering.

I plan to pour a new concrete footing that would encase the existing concrete footing as well as the steel post of the post base. So the top of the new footing would be at the same elevation as the bottom of the post base. Then I could cut away the two side plates of the post base and replace them with Simpson retrofit post bases (https://www.strongtie.com/retrofitpo...bz_base/p/rpbz) which would be fastened to the new concrete footing with concrete anchors.

The approach would allow me to preserve the existing post and save me from complicated temporary shoring. Do any of you see problems going forward with this?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: