Replacing an old wood fence DIY

Old 02-27-23, 10:20 PM
P
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Replacing an old wood fence DIY

I need to replace a fence. Current fence has steel pipe posts embedded in concrete, four 2x4 horizontal rails (2 at the bottom), 8' tall pickets, 80' length. My plan is as follows:

1. Work one section (between 2 posts) at a time.
2. Existing steel posts and post-to-rail hardware will be reused. Leaning posts will be corrected with gravels (no cement curing) as advised here previously.
3. I have an air compressor and will borrow a framing nail gun.
4. I need to install individual pickets because I cannot lift a panel (no helper). Pickets and lumber will be purchased from home Depot and pre-stained.

Here is my big question. Can an average home owner do one section (8 or 10 feet, I am not sure) in a day? It is not the end of the world to leave the fence undone overnight, but I prefer to keep the privacy fence closed as much as possible. Thank you.

Old 02-27-23, 11:52 PM
Received 1,100 Upvotes on 1,000 Posts
8' tall pickets and 8' wide rails are going to be difficult to handle without a second set of hands!

Leaning posts will be corrected with gravels (no cement curing) as advised here previously.
I'm curious about the repair of leaning posts, assuming your referring to the metal ones in cement? How is that going to be done with gravel?

Old 02-28-23, 02:32 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 740 Upvotes on 646 Posts
Shouldn't be a problem to replace the pickets in an 8' section in a day. If you are halfway young and halfway handy you should be able to do more than that.

Old 02-28-23, 01:42 PM
P
marksr
That was my biggest question. I will start the project before it gets hot.

Marq1,
Regarding the leaning fence post, I plan to remove dirt on one side until the post becomes loose, push the post, fill the other side with gravel, and compact the gravel with a rubber mallet.

I don't have a helper. So I plan leave the rail-to-post hardware unmoved. Hopefully rails will fit without needing level adjustment. In the worst case I can ask my wife to help with rail. But pickets I have to do by myself.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Old 02-28-23, 03:04 PM
fill the other side with gravel,
With an 8' tall fence that means you should have about 3' of depth, something that tall needs good support, if your going to all the work to dig it out I'd consider cementing!

Old 02-28-23, 08:15 PM
P
Thank you for the advice. Will do what's recommended.

Old 03-04-23, 01:48 PM
P
Pressure Treated or Cedar for back rails?

I used to think pressure treated will warp and twist. But not according to a website that states kiln dried, pressure treated will not warp and will outlast cedar rails. Please advise.

Old 03-05-23, 02:01 AM
PT does warp due to the process of injecting liquid into the wood that prevents decay. Cedar is rot resistant where PT is rot proof but a lot depends on where and how it's used.

No perfect answer.

Old 03-05-23, 03:41 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 740 Upvotes on 646 Posts
PT would is prone to warp as it dries but if it's been kiln dried there shouldn't be any problems. Any warped boards would have been discarded before you got them.

Old 03-05-23, 09:33 PM
P
Thank you for the answers. Now I need to gather courage and start the project.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: