Elevated Privacy Screen

Old 03-31-24, 01:26 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Elevated Privacy Screen

Greetings- New to this site and am in need of some subject matter expertise! I have a existing 6ft cedar plank fence seperating my lot from a large apartment bldg next store. There is also very tall bamboo on the other side and in some places both sides of the fence which really helped with privacy. The cold spells the last couple of years (I am in south TX ) killed off a 40 ft span of the bamboo resulting in us staring at the apt bldg. The existing fence is not in great shape but is pretty much in the process of being consumed on both sides by bamboo where it didn't die. I would like to put in 5 4x4 posts 10 feet high with 4x8 lattice on the top 4 ft to add some privacy. The lower 6 ft will be bare. Question....how deep would the footings for this need to be and , more specifically, what size sonatubes would I use for this endeavor? any assistance would be greatly appreciated. ​​​​​​​thanks!

Old 03-31-24, 07:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,999 Upvotes on 3,589 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

It's going to look a little silly.
What are you going to do with the bottom 6' that's wide open ?

If you have 10' above ground you're going to need 3' - 4' in the ground.
That means 14' long 4x4's.
Your wind will determine how deep the footings need to go.

Old 04-01-24, 12:37 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,268 Upvotes on 1,208 Posts
Rule of thumb is 1/3 in the ground, so I'm saying 5' to Pete's 3-4. That said, I wouldn't do this; I think it's going to be time and money you'll wish you hadn't spent when you're done.

Old 04-01-24, 02:21 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 842 Upvotes on 739 Posts
You might want to check your local code and see how high you are allowed to construct a fence. Hate to go thru all that work and be told it has to be lowered.

Old 04-01-24, 04:41 AM
D
Group Moderator
Received 259 Upvotes on 207 Posts
I may well be wrong but the way I pictured his project is, he just (in general) wants to extend the height of the existing fence. He wants to put the new construction up against or very near the old fence. The bottom 6 ft will be the old fence, the new will be lattice work. So, he will in effect have 2 fences very near to each other or butted up against each other.
The old fence is in bad shape. I hope & assume that gets replaced at the same time, but he didn't mention it because its not part of his question at hand. It will be a normal build. Then will add the 5 posts & new lattice.
I assume the posts on his original fence is in good shape, so he won't be replacing those... only the cedar planks.

I'm with MarkSr, in that you really need to check with local enforcement to ensure a 10' fence will be ok.
Secondly, in my opinion, good luck in finding good, nice, straight 14 - 16' 4X4's. That's trivial, but just to give you a heads up if that's gonna be an issue. I'm not the engineer here but, I'd figure at least 4' in the ground, but that's just farm boy math.

If I understood wrong, my apologies & I welcome any corrections.

Good luck with your project & welcome to the forums.....

Old 04-01-24, 07:06 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the quick replies. Dixie- you are spot on. And I agree with all that this isn't necessarily the best rout. But i dont want to rebuild the cedar plank portion as the bamboo will eventually consume it as it has done on other portions of the fence and provides excellent privacy (20ft high). I have a makeshift 8 ft span that I built using two large planters as the footings no complaints from the apartment and it ccant be seen from the street so I will pass on asking the city. Thanks guys

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: