Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Fences, Posts, Railings and Gates
Reload this Page >

Split Rails at Lowes always have ends way too big

Old 04-10-24, 02:49 PM
V
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts

The only place near me to get split rails for my fence is Lowes. For some reason, the ends are huge, and not tapered much at all.

This started about 7 years ago.

The problem is that it is hard to fit these huge ends into the holes in the posts. You can find a placed to fit it, but you have to remove several other rails in the process, to find a combo of huge new rail, and smaller, worn down older rail, that will work.

edit to add: I found lots of negative comments on the Lowe's website about the ends being too big, and people having to waste their time cutting the awkward things down. I guess the company that makes these rails is blissfully unaware that the rails are no good. I don't even remember who it is. I don't think they put their tag on them anymore, lol. Ashamed ?

I've seen split rail fences at new developments that have properly tapered new rails. So they do exist.

Is there anywhere else to get rails that are properly tapered? Does anyone else out there even notice these fat rail ends?

Thanks

jeweler voted this post useful.
Old 04-10-24, 03:06 PM
V
The Lowes website is full of poor reviews for the split rail ends. So it's not just me.

Old 04-11-24, 04:22 AM
B
Received 306 Upvotes on 271 Posts
Most Lowe's have cutting services. Have you asked if they will taper each end of rail?

Old 04-11-24, 04:50 AM
V
That's a good idea. Probably they will charge for it, though. I will ask. Thanks.

Old 04-11-24, 05:00 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,221 Upvotes on 1,982 Posts
You asked us where to get something and didn't tell us where you are located. And you said Lowes is the only place you can get them. So... it sounds like Lowes is your only option.

Old 04-11-24, 05:13 AM
D
Group Moderator
Received 273 Upvotes on 215 Posts
Yeah, I was going to suggest putting them on a table saw & cut it down to your needed size.
I guess its bad for you that you gotta cut them but if that's the size the company cuts them & someone has built a fence within the last 7 years and the company changes the cut, then the new fence guy is gonna be mad.
If its just a tapered end you need, a radial arm saw will work well.

Old 04-11-24, 07:07 AM
W
Received 24 Upvotes on 20 Posts
It's not just Lowe's. The HD rails are the same. I had 300' of split rail fence that I installed almost 40 years ago. The rails were purchased at a lumber yard. Remember them? When I tried replacing damaged rails bought at a big box, none of the rails fit the post openings. I cut new tapers with a chain saw. I also shortened the 10' rails a bit.

Old 04-12-24, 10:49 AM
Z
Received 130 Upvotes on 121 Posts
I have 2-rail fence. I bought the rails and the posts from a fence company and installed myself. Maybe you could find a fence company in your area.

I had to cut some rails by hand because I had a few short sections needing short rails. But all the posts and rails from the fence company fit fine. I guess maybe a fence company would be more reliable than a big box store. But if there isn't one near you, I guess you are screwed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: