Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Fences, Posts, Railings and Gates
Reload this Page >

how to make/buy balustrades resembling those in place?

Old 07-02-24, 08:30 PM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hi Everyone -

I have an old home with the attached style of balustrade. Original were made out of some form of cast concrete. Additions seemed to have wooden versions. I've looked all over and cannot find anyone who creates/has ballustrades in stock like this.

There are some fiber versions online but I'm wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction on where I could find something like this:

They're roughly 18.5" H x 5.5 L x 5.5 D

Old 07-02-24, 08:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,975 Upvotes on 1,771 Posts
If you're ok with a wood replica, you'd have to search for "custom millwork" in your area and call around... ask to email them your photo and get a quote based on your size and quantity. You would likely want tge shape to be exact, but the top and bottom would be slightly long so that they could but cut to fit (in case there is any variation in height as you go around). It's quite possible that there might be someone in the area who does plaster or concrete moldings as well.

Obviously it won't be cheap.

Old 07-03-24, 07:09 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,319 Upvotes on 2,064 Posts
Are you shopping for the whole balustrade or individual balusters?

I just did a search for "composite balusters" and several companies appeared. You'll have to keep looking until you find someone who has a stock version similar to what you have now. You can also search for "wood baluster" or "precast baluster" to see other options. Because of the weight concrete ones would be best purchased as locally as possible.

Old 07-03-24, 01:25 PM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info, has anyone ever conducted any of this type of work themselves or contracted it out?
I've seen moldings that can be purchased in the low 100's in which you could mix concrete in yourself but I'm not too sure about that approach.

I wonder if there are local companies that have inventory of such items anywhere? I'm in the SoCal area.

I'd be looking for a whole balustrade so I can match existing in a new location that needs a railing but is confined to a historic preservation agreement.

Thanks again for any help

Old 07-04-24, 05:59 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,319 Upvotes on 2,064 Posts
"...has anyone ever conducted any of this type of work themselves or contracted it out?"
Yes. I redid the rails on my parents home using resin balusters. The top and bottom rail I made with a plywood lamination which I had planed to shape at a local wood shop and then I fiber glassed them.

"I wonder if there are local companies that have inventory of such items anywhere?"
YOU, should call around and ask instead of asking strangers on the internet. Southern CA is a large area so only you know what "local" is.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: