Marlin Glenfield .22 Auto questions...

Old 04-07-05, 06:29 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Marlin Glenfield .22 Auto questions...

I have the opportunity to acquire, at no expense, the hard parts of a Marlin Glenfield (Model 60, I think) .22 autoloading rifle. Whether I do or not will depend largely on the feedback from this posting. It turns out this rifle has been in a house fire (hence only the hard parts and no furniture). I have not looked into the action or barrel as yet. The exterior of the magazine tube, barrel and reciever are rusty, but appear only as though they had been stored un-oiled in a humid environment for a while. The charging handle moves the bolt back and forth in the reciever, but I haven't been able to get the safety to release yet, so I don't know whether the firing mechanism is free. My question is this: with new .22 auto rifles available for around $150, would it be worth my while to attempt to re-spring and re-stock this rifle, since I will spend nothing on it up front? Any and all input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance - Chris

Old 04-07-05, 06:41 PM
If I'm not mistaken I think that gun can be picked up for $100 - $150 in good condition.

It is a great shooting accurate gun but with the millions that were sold there's just not a huge value.

Old 04-08-05, 06:32 AM
SB
yup, you can get them at gunshows for $100 in great condition all day long. i think walmart has them NIB for around $150.

with that being said, it sounds like a cool project, bringing a dead gun back to life...i just imagine you will have quite a few of these as you work on it and you'll probably spend near $100 for parts, new stock,etc.

Old 04-08-05, 08:16 AM
Thanks for the input, guys. True story, SB; I was in WalMart this very morning, and saw this gun in blued finish for $120, and in stainless for $150. I'll probably spring for a new copy of one of the .22 autos with a box magazine, but try to restore the Marlin just for fun. What's life without the occasional anyway? Thanks again; I'll bet you'll see more from me as the project progresses. - Chris

Old 04-08-05, 08:20 AM
SB
keep us updated AND PLEASE PLEASE spend the extra $30 for the stainless

Old 04-08-05, 02:36 PM
I was on eBay earlier looking for parts for my Camaro and did a search on this gun. There is all kinds of parts on there for it.

Old 04-08-05, 03:39 PM
J
Marlin Glenfield

Hi, I have some experience with refurbishing a firearms that was in a fire. The first thing before starting the project is to make sure the metal was not "softened" in the fire. With there being no stock I would assume that it was either burned completely away or charred badly. Take the gun to a gunsmith or machine shop that can test the hardness of the action, barrell and bolt for you. Also understand that the working parts of the trigger may have lost thier temper in the fire. Even though it's a .22 caliber, if the action has been in extreme heat it can be dangerous to fire. Having said that, the Marlin rifles are excellent guns and mine has thousands of rounds through it and I expect to pass it on to my grandchildren. Good luck and post back as to how the project goes.

Old 04-08-05, 04:46 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
Chris,

I too would wonder about the steel strength after being heated.

A number of years ago I had a service vehicle stolen and then burnt. In it were all manner of hand tools that I salvaged.
Sockets, wrenches, punches, pipe wrenches, etc.
Even though they polished up and are looking like new, none of them will stand up like they did before the fire.

Makes you want to look twice if buying tools in a flea market.

Old 04-08-05, 07:05 PM
Thanks again to all. The question of the temper being heated out of the springs had crossed my mind. But the issue of the strength of the rest of the parts had not. I believe the first thing I will do after cleaning and basic evaluation is to find a gunsmith to give the gun a look. I may have a chance to pick the gun up tomorrow and tinker with it some. I'll post with anything interesting or unusual. Thanks again - Chris

Old 08-07-05, 11:26 PM
honorablejr
Visiting Guest
check the plastic pin

Is the stock missing because it was burned, already removed before the fire, or because it was smoke-stained?

My model 60 went through a house fire (ours!) last year. Check the magazine tube: it has a red plastic pin in it: if that isn't melted, the thing didn't get enough heat to affect the temper! If it is melted, the non-critical parts would be good for rebuilding one with parts off of eBay?

BTW, oven cleaner works GREAT for removing smoke damage (and the old finish!) from a rifle stock that's been through a fire! Rinse and dry it well after stripping (follow the directions on the spray can), and then let it set for several days before fine sanding and use a tung-oil or other type stain to refinish it.

Good luck!
-Joel R.

Old 08-09-05, 05:32 AM
Thanks, honorablejr. The stock was burned off in the fire, and the magazine tube pin had melted inside the action. Now, after cleaning it all out, all the springs (except the one in the magazine) seem to have enough tension to operate; nothing seems warped or twisted from the heat, and it feeds and extracts cartridges by hand smoothly. I haven't obtained replacement magazine parts or a new stock yet, but I'm leaning towards doing just that. If it shoots okay after reassembling, I will add it to my collection, and if not, I'll try replacing all the springs. Thanks again for the input. - Chris

Old 08-21-05, 06:51 PM
rugerman
Visiting Guest
Back in the late 70's a friend of mine's store burned and several guns were in the fire, we called the various manufacturers and they all told us that if the wood under the barrel was chared then the metal was most likely damaged (temper lost or at least questionable). Looks like a wall hanger to me. rugerman

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: