frank "Glock vs 357"

Old 10-23-05, 09:47 PM
frankqd
Visiting Guest
frank "Glock vs 357"

I would like to know what any one thinks about a glock 40cal.i have always used a 357 to cary,mainly colt.also what is a good wepon for a woman to cary. thanks frank

Old 10-25-05, 07:22 AM
SB
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
.40 cal is a good choice. however, handguns are like the ford vs. chevy argument so you can get any opinion you want.

one good way to look at it is that i would bet a majority of LEO's carry the 40 (i have no scientific proof of this, just going on what i see). i kinda prefer the .45 but i carry a G23 in my truck and i love it.

as far as glock...you will get the same argument there...however, i own 7 glocks and love every one of them. i like the reliability and simplicity of them.

as far as your final question about what a woman should carry...that depends on the woman

my wife carrys a .380 in her purse and has a .45 in her car. she is 5 foot tall and about 105 pounds but she has sent many rounds downrange and is comfortable with both. that is the key...guns are like shoes, let her try many and let HER pick out the one she is most comfortable with.

Old 10-25-05, 08:08 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
The .40 was the end result of a bad FBI shoot out many years ago. At the time, FBI agents carried .357 revolvers. The bad guys were shot, but still managed to keep firing for a while and killed a couple of the agents. The pursuit of a cartridge with better stopping power lead to the development of the 10mm cartridge. Unfortunately, this tended to have too much penetration, so light powder loads were used. The problem was solved with the introduction of the .40. For pure stopping power, it's had to beat a .45. For very good stopping power with the ability to carry many more bullets in a gun, the .40 is the best answer for most people who don't have huge hands.

As to what is the best weapon for a woman to carry, it all depends on what she is comfortable with. Some will prefer a big .45, some a small .32. A nice middle of the road answer is a .380 semi auto or a hammerless double action only .38 revolver.

Old 10-26-05, 06:14 PM
Man, this thread cracks me up. I know its common knowledge for people in some states to carry, but it just sounds so funny. I couldn't even think about doing that up here.

We got big problems up here with gun control. THERE IS TOO MUCH!!
(Too much gun control I mean)

We're gonna need permission to fart pretty soon, just in case it offends somebody.

Jay

Old 10-27-05, 06:21 AM
SB
roach...man, that sucks. i would never live in a place like that. as a matter of fact, Texas has just loosened up our carry laws. you can now carry a loaded pistol in your vehicle WITHOUT a carry license.

Old 10-27-05, 06:45 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 966 Votes on 887 Posts
I had a Glock .40 but ended up selling it. The gun functioned properly. I don't think it jammed once during the time I owned it. I just could not hit anything with it. The gun was technically accurate (as accurate as a gun that size should/can be). The .40 cartridge in that gun just did not work for me. The recoil was a bit too sharp and the balance of the gun changed a fair bit (true of all lightweight guns) as you emptied the magazine.

I would try to get out and try several guns and buy the one that puts the bullets where you want. A 9mm or .357 that hits your target has much better stopping power than a .40 that was hitting high and right...

PS: For some reason I've always tened to .38, 9mm and .45. I don't know why, but those two seem to work better for me. I can't explain it but I never have had much luck hitting the target with .40, .357, .44 and 10mm.

PSS: Would somebody chamber a PPK (Walther) for the the full 9mm instead of the short .380!!! I love the look and feel of that sexy gun but there is no way I'm going to buy a .380.

Old 10-30-05, 07:05 AM
PunkinHead
Visiting Guest
My brother is in law inforcement, and carries the Glock .40 as a back-up. He shoots it well, but he is an exceptional shot. I have the Glock 19 (9mm) --it shoots fine and is easy to conceal. However, the Glocks can be dangerous because of their trigger safety system-- Be sure you are comfortable with this aspect of the weapon.
JD

Old 10-31-05, 03:57 PM
P
I have been in law enforcement for 29 plus years. The standard in North Carolina for agencies is the Glock .40. Some departments mostly Sheriff Departments still carry the Glock .45. I am thinking the .40 might be much for a lady to carry in her purse. I carry a Model 27 both on duty and one in my truck. Its very accurate and I carry the Winchester law enforcement ammo in my duty weapon. There is no stopping problem. I actually investigated an officer involved shooting where the bad guy was shot twice with a .45 Glock shooting Black Talon ammo. He had one lethal shot in the chest area and one in the groin. He continued to shoot after being shot twice. So go figure.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: