J. C. Higgins 12 Ga

Old 06-20-06, 01:19 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
J. C. Higgins 12 Ga

I have a Higgins 12 Ga shotgun, sold by Sears in the mid 50s. I recently discovered that there was a recall in the 90s of the bolt action (yes, a bolt action shotgun), however, I have not been able to find any details on the reason for the recall (it does state that the bolt action can break free, but it does not specify the component or method of failure). Is anyone familiar with the story behind the recall?

I ask because I had access to equipment to get an image of all stressed compents and no flaws were detected. However, there is a flimsy screw that prevents the bolt from being removed and I could see this being an issue if an overzealous user pulled the bolt back too hard, it could fly out and do some facial damage.

Any info would be appreciated.

Old 06-24-06, 08:21 AM
M
shotgun

I dug this up on google.

Sears Issues Voluntary Recall on J.C. Higgins Shotgun

HOFFMAN ESTATES, Ill., March 13 /PRNewswire/ -- Sears, Roebuck and Co.
(NYSE: S) today announced a voluntary recall of J.C. Higgins Bolt Action
12-Gauge shotguns, a product manufactured for and sold by the company during
the 1950s.
The shotguns are being voluntary recalled due to a potential problem with
the bolt latch assembly, which could cause the assembly to fail allowing it to
dislodge and strike the operator in the face. Sears is offering a $160
finders' fee for the return of the bolt, making the shotgun inoperable.
The shotguns were sold in Sears stores and through its catalog as the
"J.C. Higgins Bolt Action 12-Gauge Model 10 Shotgun" during the 1950s. It was
carried under a number of product numbers: 583.13, 583.14, 583.15, 583.16,
583.17, 583.18, 583.19, 583.20, 583.21 and 583.22. The product model number
is engraved on the barrel of the shotgun.
Consumers are advised to immediately stop using the shotgun. Call
800-817-9165 for identification verification and instructions on return
procedures.
Sears, Roebuck and Co. discontinued the sale of all firearms and
ammunition in the early 1980s. Through its network of more than 830 full-line
stores and 2,500 off-the-mall stores, Sears is a leading retailer of apparel,
home and automotive products and services, serving more than 50 million
households.

SOURCE Sears, Roebuck and Co.

Old 07-03-06, 09:27 AM
Took some time to find that defect??? That was the first shotgun I ever owned. Back around 1958. Worked good for me for about 8 years and I sold it to a neighbor when I went in the service.

Old 07-13-06, 07:18 AM
G
I currently have a J.C. Higgins .410 Gauge shot-gun that is bolt action. Right on the barrel, under J.C. Higgins, it states Sears Roebuck (or something like that-I can't remember exaclty as I have not looked at it in a coons age).

This gun was my mothers from when she was a teenager. This is the gun she first learned to hunt with. I have shot the weapon on many occasions and find that it works adequately well for what it is. I have no idea when it was first produced. The one odd thing about the gun is that if you hold the trigger in (squeezed position) while you pull the bolt backwards-the bolt slides right out! Something with the trigger mechanism stops the bolt from coming out when not depressed.

Old 08-09-06, 11:06 PM
W
I bought a 12 guage bolt JC Higgins Sears Roebuck today from a used gunstore.

Having owned a few guns I can tell that the set screw that is the problem. With the gun bolt down and locked there is no way that the bolt will fly open and backwards to hit you.

However, repeated firing may rattle loose that screw on the reciever between the bolt handle and ejection port (the screw is on the left side of the reciever). This is the screw that prevents the bolt from comming out of the reciever when cycling the action for a fresh shell. I have had screws loosen up on a black powder revolver, but that is because these screws are SUPPOSED to come out. You want them to come out. You take them out so you can clean the gun. FYI, so do the screws in that black powder pistol, because you need to clean the inside of the pistols because black powder burnt soot is HIGHLY corrosive (it has salt in it after it is burned, but unburnt powder is harmless).

If it really bothers you that it might come out of your Higgins shotgun, just take it out, hit it with lock-tite or superglue and put it back in. It wil be more difficult to get out when you do want it to, but that is the deal you live with. Or maybe get a longer screw and a lock washer. I plan to just live with it and check to see it is in good after every shooting day.

The "injury" that you could get is obviously if the screw falls out and the user cycles the shotgun while having it shouldered, and ends up hitting him in the face. I think most people are ignorant and think a screw that is designed to come out shouldn't come out until the user wants it to. That is a good thing usually, but this is a simple shotgun with simple mechanics.

Old 09-24-06, 06:20 PM
G
Talking

I came across one of these guns recently (higgins 583.20 12 guage bolt action), picked it up for $50.00. I shot it a few dozen times before finding out about the recall. I'm not a gunsmith by any means, but I cannot see any way for the bolt to "dislodge" and stike me in the face, except as stated in the previous post. If I'm overlooking something, please let me know. I'm going to mount a scope on it and use it as my "deerslayer" this year.

Old 10-20-06, 11:42 AM
D
Kinda what I figured

Thanks for the replies (I forgot I posted this).

I have a hunch it is the set screw as well. The head on this one is broken (only half the head exist) and I could see where someone could yank the bolt back hard, break the screw and knock out a few teeth. There is so much steel on the bolt and holding the bolt in place, unless the steel was defective, I could not see it breaking away and shooting the bolt backwards.

Old 11-23-06, 08:50 AM
I
j c higgins 583 20 12 gauge bolt action shotgun

The problem with these guns is the bolt stop screw that holds in the bolt .If the screw is very loose striped or missing the bolt can be pulled out the gun while cycling the action .There is nothing wrong with these guns .If you take care of them There Is nothing wrong with the Bolt stop screw it is plenty strong .It must be present It must be tight [ I use lock tight ]and it needs to be in good order these are readily available from gun parts corp . Donot Use the gun with a missing or striped out screw fix it it easy.all of the JC Higgins model 10 shotguns have this arraingment as well as the H&R bolt action shotguns both 120 and 348/349 /351 of wich the JC Higgins is based . The H&R patten wich Sears bought in 1945 and at abought that same time bought High Standard Fire arms to make these guns How ever H&R made almost all of them till 583 12 series for HIgh Standard .Many people dont relize that these guns are quite old The gun was made from 1945 to 1956 when the model 10 was replaced buy the model 11 wich was an all new design by High standard arms co for Sears I have many of these guns both the model 10 the model 11 and the H&Rs The model 10 is a classic sporting arm with an interesting past It is one of the best shotguns of its type Far superior to the Savage /Stevens 58 The Marlin 50/55 and the mossberg bolt guns I have had one In the family for well over 50 years It has fired thousands of rounds it is model 583 20 12 gauge made 1952 These are safe and reliable you simply have to maintain them Properly

Old 11-23-06, 09:32 AM
I
JC Higgins Bolt action shotgun

Maintenece tricks It is not nessary to take these gun apart to clean them simply make sure gun is unloaded open bolt clean from muzzle end these are not rifles and this actually what Sears manual for this gun says to do. Clean bolt face (in gun) and shell lifter with a tooth brush soaked in bore solvent lightly oil gun.There are two screws on these guns wich are very important before you do any thing with these guns I Highly recomend that you do the following One remove the bolt stop screw check it for condition clean it remove all oil from screw and screw hole apply lock tight and tighten it .Do not over tighten and strip it Two remove take down screw on bottom of shotgun in front of loading port .remove barrel and action from out of stock lifting up muzzle end first clean out stock with a tooth brush clean oil action Dont over lubricate. Place action back in stock use lock tight on this screw and tighten it this screw should be checked once and a while after doing the above .I have never had it loosen up on me. Donot fire these guns with this screw loose as you can split or damage your stock If you do the above you should not ever have a major problem with these guns Just remember once you lock tight the two screws that hold these things together it is not nessary to ever take it apart to clean it

Old 12-15-06, 09:53 PM
D
I have a 16 GA version

I have a JC Higgins bolt action 16 GA model 583.21, 26" full choke. My Dad bought it used nearly 30 years ago and gave it to me when I was 13. It's in very good condition and it has always worked just fine. I have removed the bolt to clean the gun many times and never had a problem with the screw loosening. I've removed the stock once, and the big screw under the stock has never worked loose. These old guns are heavy and very serviceable...but not valuable. However, they are kind of cool and I always liked shooting and hunting with mine.

Thanks for the previous posts - I actually did not know that these guns were made back in the fifties. I don't know if my 16 GA would be covered by the recall, but Sears can keep their 50 bucks and I'll keep my weird boat anchor of a shotgun.

Old 01-17-10, 01:20 PM
M

I was given one of these rather well made Higgins 583.21 Bolt Guns in 16 Gauge.

I am looking for the break down manual for this shotgun, any one have a source.

Thanks,

Jerry

Old 01-17-10, 02:12 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
jerry...this looks like a pretty good cheap source Assembly/Disassembly - JC Higgins Long Guns Exploded Gun Drawings Digital (PDF) Download - Save on Price Guides, Books, Magazines and DVDs for gun collectors & gun enthusiasts

$3? Prob cost more for someone to mail you a xerox copy and you'd have to wait for it.

Do you know which actual model that is..10? 11? not the Sears number...

Ahhhh knew I'd find something else....how about this? Sears Bolt Action Shotgun Manuals Just go down to your model and click on the manuals to the right...

Found the info here...gotta give credit where its due...Shotgunworld.com • View topic - JC Higgins Bolt Action Owners Please Read

Old 06-23-11, 09:42 AM
H
Choke

I recently bought a JC Higgins 583.17a from a used gun store and it has a choke that looks like a suppressor i was wondering if anybody knew how to remove it?

Old 06-23-11, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Welcome to the Forums...better to start your own thread, but lets see what we can do.

Most likely you have a PolyChoke or Cutts Compensator variable choke.

Older ones were permanently installed by soldering or brazing them to the barrel I believe. A gunsmith would be able to remove it, but that would likely leave you with a cylinder bore shotgun. Not much use for that except home defense and an old bolt action isn't a very good choice anyway.

btw...there was a problem with certain of those models...I'd suggest you get a good 'smith who knows shotguns to check it out carefully. Something about the gun firing before the bolt is completely closed I think? Not a good thing!

Old 08-09-11, 02:16 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The reciever has been know to fail.

http://www.histandard.info/SCRATCH6/...lure%20p1a.jpg

John Stimson

Last edited by Gunguy45; 08-09-11 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Remove personally owned website

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: