Marlin 30/30

Old 12-01-07, 03:33 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Marlin 30/30

I have a Marlin 30/30, mod 30 AS I can't tell you how long I have had it maybe 25 years or more but I have fired less than a box of shells through it. I can not get the lever action to work, did something rust up or am I doing something wrong. I was going to start taking it apart today but discovered the slots in the flat head screws are real narrow. Where can you get screw drivers that won't break that will fit the narrow slots? Thanks for any help

Old 12-01-07, 04:15 PM
Super Moderator
Received 47 Votes on 45 Posts
For sure don't take it apart if you have never done it before.

Could the hammer be partially cocked?
Is there a release lever somewhere?
Is the safety on?
Is it jammed tight or is there some slight movement as if it was being mechanically blocked.

Old 12-01-07, 04:52 PM
J
hammer cocked or uncocked lever won't budge
I don't know of any release leveron this rifle
safety off the lever won't budge
feels like it is locked up tight the lever has some looseness in it.
If I can find the screwdrivers I will take it apart. If I can't put it back together again I will take it to a gun doctor. The problem has to be a mechanical malfunction inside somewhere.

Old 12-02-07, 05:09 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Having the Marlin cocked or uncocked won't make a difference with the ejection mechanism. It will lever in either position. You may have a rust problem on the slide. Try liquid wrench sprayed into the crevasses before you do exploratory surgery. It worked before it seized up, it may just need TLC. I have a Centennial model 336C (1969) which is basically the same rifle as the 30AS except for the woodwork. I will put this one up against any other at 100 yds. Fantastic accuracy for an inexpensive rifle. Bought it in 1970 for $69.95 brand new in box. Still have the paperwork.

Old 12-02-07, 06:45 AM
J
I put oil in every crack and crevice I could find, but not penetrating oil. I will put in some of that. If there is rust inside somewhere it might should be sanded lightly and oiled so it doesn't happen again. I will probably give the oil a week, then start the surgery if no results. I could have bought this rifle in the late 70's I think I paid $150.00 for it with a scope. Or else I bought the scope later. It is a nice rifle.

Old 12-02-07, 02:05 PM
Jerome,

You might want to take the wood off to keep it from soaking up all that oil.

Any chance there is a cartridge in the gun jamming up the feed mechanism?

From time to time I have soaked an action or a bolt in a can of diesel. It will soften up the crud and provide some lubrication.

There are some not too expensive "Gunsmithing" screwdriver sets on the market. Looks like it is time to go tool shopping.

My suggestion would be to remove the wood and spray down with a penetrant. If that doesn't work, flush everything you can reach with Gunscrubber or Prestone Brake Cleaner (do not get any on the wood). Then try the penetrant again.
If that doesn't get it done, see the Gun Doc.

Old 12-02-07, 02:39 PM
M
Old 12-02-07, 07:47 PM
J
I laced it down with penetrating oil earlier today and wiped any oil on the wood off. What oil hit the wood I hope doesn't hurt the wood.
This thing hasn't been fired in years and I am pretty sure there is not a cartridge in it.
Where do you buy these not to expensive gunsmithing screwdriver sets?
I will let it sit with the penetrating oil I put in earlier today and see what happens. I can't get the wood off yet because I don't have the thin screwdrivers.
Thanks 410a those were some good ideas, I might get it unstuck without the sugary after all.

Thanks mdtaylor for the Marlin Jam fix that is a nice piece of information to have. This rifle hasn't had very many rounds fired through it so that is probably not the problem. But with your information I can fix the problem before it is a problem. Thanks for the help

Old 12-02-07, 08:45 PM
Originally Posted by Jerome View Post
IWhere do you buy these not to expensive gunsmithing screwdriver sets?
Midway, Brownells, Bass Pro, Cabela's, Dick's, ect..

Look for a set with a magnetic tip screwdriver and an assortment of hollow ground bits.

Old 12-03-07, 02:13 PM
J
Thanks 410a, we have a Dick's And Cabela's close by I will stop in there

Old 12-04-07, 06:53 PM
J
It looks like the penetrating oil did the trick. I gave it a pull on the lever and it was moving. The bolt looks clean but I would like to take it out and look it over and see if it has a rust build up on the back side somewhere. Looks like I won't be doing surgery and that is probably a good thing. Thanks again for all you folks help.

Old 12-12-07, 01:16 PM
C
Jerome,
I read that you have put a scope on you rifle. I'm not 100% posative but I think that if the mounting screws are too deep it will block the slide from opening. It could be an easy fix.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: