9mm barrel leading

Old 12-20-07, 06:47 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
9mm barrel leading

I recently bought a S&W Sigma in 9mm. Its a fun gun but I wanted to load some lead bullets for it for plinking and shooting indoors. I bought a mold from midway and cast a couple hundred bullets from good hard lead and lubed them with liquid alox (the rings in the bullet are made for alox not regular lube) The bullets fit nice with no case bulging. However as I was afraid of I have to load them with 3.7gr of bullseye just to cycle the action consistantly. The load lists 3.8 as the max for this lead bullett. With 3.7 grains I am under 1000fps wich is what we try to stay under in the range. However just after 40 or so shots I can notice leading in the barrel. Anyone have any suggestions? Was wondering about a spring kit, or maybe getting another stock spring and clipping some coils. Thanks

Old 12-22-07, 04:52 AM
Bullet Casting is like witchcraft.

In my experience, I have had more leading with Tumble Lube bullets than with any others, except round balls. I always have lead traces in the barrel too some degree.

Are you shooting linotype? Wheel weights with a little tin added, sized .356 and lubed with Lyman Orange Magic have given me the best results thus far. Sizing and lube seemed to make more of a diference than powders or primers. I have used WW231, HS-6, tight group, Bullseye and REX-2.

Keep notes. Try small batches until you get it right.

If the gun is new, it may take a while to wear down the microscopic burrs in a freshly machined barrel.

Don't give up. It's rewarding when you get it right.

Old 12-22-07, 07:49 PM
B
thanks for the advice 410a, I will have to get some wheel weights to try. The local garage sells a 5 gallon bucket full for $25. I also noticed after posting that wolff makes a reduced power recoil spring kit. Maybe harder lead and softer recoil spring will do the trick. Also barell is brand new, has only seen about 100+ fmj rounds and what lead rounds I have fired through it just trying different loads. Thanks again

Old 12-23-07, 05:40 PM
Your results might be better if you shot lead bullets through a clean bore. For some reason, shooting cast bullets over copper deposits from jacketed bullets seems to accelerate lead fouling.

Last edited by 410a; 12-23-07 at 05:59 PM. Reason: kaint spel
Old 02-21-08, 10:08 PM
J
Buy a Lewis lead cleaner ( about $10 ) It is a rod that uses
copper patches--run thru barrel every 10-20 rounds--then you can shoot any load within reason. It really cleans all the lead out of barrel with no damage. I gave up on lead years ago-too much trouble worring about lead. Today copper bullets are not that much more$$

Old 02-28-08, 09:47 AM
J
Lewis Lead Cleaner price today--about $26.00

Old 03-20-08, 01:42 PM
J
I use wheel weight lead, gas checks and clean the lead out of autoloaders frequently. Many are VERY sensitive to lead buildup which increases pressure. In some the feed ramp in the chamber often leaves part of the case unsupported and KABOOM can result from the pressure.

Old 03-20-08, 02:55 PM
J
I think it was Bar-Sto said they took care of that problem--I
don't think I will bet my life on that. I shot lead for many years. I went to copper jacket-got tired cleaning lead.Reloading is a good time killer. I enjoy it more than shooting..........

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: