Anyone own a Colt Woodsman Match Target?

Old 04-10-08, 06:33 AM
B
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Anyone own a Colt Woodsman Match Target?

Anyone own a Colt Woodsman Match Target, First Series? Based on the serial number, it was made prior to WWII.

I just inherited one from my uncle and there doesn't seem to be a working safety on it! I have had a couple people very experienced in handguns from one of the local gun clubs take it apart and they couldn't see any indication that there is anything wrong. It even has the people on a Colt forum baffled! And yet, no one has ever heard of a pistol that didn't have a safety. I'm going to take it to a gun shop about 1 1/2 hours from here in a couple weeks that claims to be very knowledgeable about the old Colts, but thought I might be able to get some insight before I left.

So if anyone her has one, I would really like to hear from you. It has to be a First Series, though; the Second and Third Series are a lot different.

Old 04-10-08, 08:53 AM
Super Moderator
No expert on this by any means...but, could someone have removed the safety?

Heres a link from an auction site, clearly shows what looks like a slide lock/safety.

http://www.gunsinternational.com/det...&string=cid=85

And this looks like THE page for Colt Woodsman info...wow!

http://www.coltwoodsman.com/

Old 04-10-08, 10:53 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I have an old Colt I found in wood ( long time ago )
It is all rusted shut--someday I will repair.
NOTE SAFETY........LOOK FOR CUT IN SLIDE...........

[IMG][/IMG

If it has no safety it may be worth $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Old 04-10-08, 11:25 AM
B
Yes, the Woodsman I have has the notch in the slide and what I thought was supposed to be a safety. What's weird is that the safety will move up and lock the slide when the pistol is uncocked only; when I **** the pistol, it won't move! That's why I have to believe something is wrong or has been modified.

The only apparent modifications that anyone can see is a trigger stop and custom made walnut stocks. My uncle shot in competition (he is a Double Distinguished Shooter), so it wouldn't surprise me that something was modified that that's not apparent.

Editted to add: People have told me this pistol is worth a lot of money, but because it was used by my uncle in his competion shooting, it will stay in the family and never be sold.

Old 04-10-08, 11:53 AM
J
He probably had safety modified not to activate w/ round in
chamber--check it out.............

Old 04-10-08, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator
Bruce,
I'd E-mail the guy who runs the second linked website I posted. He has a link to mail him right on the home page.
This could have been a modification common to competitive shooting. Why would you want to lock it when you were at the firing line and ready to fire a string? Maybe it was only locked when it was empty or uncocked. Who knows?

I did notice one thing, depending on how old yours actually is, it should only be fired with standard velocity .22. Something about the receiver not being heat treated?

Unless your uncle was well known somehow, any modifications would only diminish the value. But I understand completely on not selling it. I have a Fox AE grade double 16Ga from 1923 (1921?), given to my father in the late 20s and it'll be passed on to my nephew probably when I get a bit older (actually, quite a bit older). You have a great shooter and a family heirloom, treasure and protect it.

Old 04-10-08, 12:05 PM
B
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
Bruce,
I'd E-mail the guy who runs the second linked website I posted. He has a link to mail him right on the home page.
This could have been a modification common to competitive shooting. Why would you want to lock it when you were at the firing line and ready to fire a string? Maybe it was only locked when it was empty or uncocked. Who knows?

I did notice one thing, depending on how old yours actually is, it should only be fired with standard velocity .22. Something about the receiver not being heat treated?

Unless your uncle was well known somehow, any modifications would only diminish the value. But I understand completely on not selling it. I have a Fox AE grade double 16Ga from 1923 (1921?), given to my father in the late 20s and it'll be passed on to my nephew probably when I get a bit older (actually, quite a bit older). You have a great shooter and a family heirloom, treasure and protect it.
I'll try e-mailing the guy.

I have checked out the ammunition thing and it is OK to fire the high velocity stuff made today.

The guys thought the same thing you did. When you think about how a match works, a safety may not be necessary. And maybe he had an idea that a safety somehow affected accuracy and removed or disabled it. I have tried every combination of rounds chambered, not chambered, etc. and cannot get the safety to work once the pistol is c*cked. (Let's see if that makes it past the censors LOL)

Old 04-11-08, 11:13 AM
J
Glad you brought up this topic--Soaked overnite in Sheath--
Couple gentle taps w/ plastic hammer & my "find in the woods " slide opened. this gun is actually in excellent condition inside. # 23000 made bet. 27 & about 32.
Can't fire high vel. shells.
A little inside polishing & complete reblue job -- it will be good as new.
Let me know what you find on your Woodsman.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 04-28-08, 05:38 AM
B
Up-date

Well, I took the Woodsman to Ahlman's in southern MN a couple weeks ago and got it back Saturday. With a working safety!! I haven't yet been able to find what was wrong, but it couldn't have been much because the total charge was onlt $27! Can't wait to get it out to the range.

Bruce

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: