Buckmark(s)

Old 02-26-09, 03:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 290 Votes on 253 Posts
Buckmark(s)

I have 2 Browning buckmarks .22 pistols. One is mine and one is my father in laws. Of course my Father in laws is better than mine but they both seam to be having the same issues. I use them both in a pistol league and are having FTF (failure to feed) and FTE (failure to eject) "smoke stack" problems. I am using the same ammo, Federal 710 round nose copper plated. I know that .22 ammo is not the best and they get rather dirty after a few 100 rounds. A friend of mine mentioned that he had heard that after a while Buckmarks need to have a part replaced but he could never remember what it was.

Has anybody else heard of this?

Old 02-26-09, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Hmmm..no Buckmarks in my armoury...but thats odd. I thought it might be a standard velocity load but I see it's not. I hardly ever thoroughly clean my .22's. A spray gun cleaner and a wipe down with preservative is about it. I do clean the chamber, breach face and extractor area with a brush and solvent. Mine are all Rugers though.

Old 02-27-09, 05:55 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 788 Votes on 725 Posts
I have never owned a Buckmark but I had similar issues with my Ruger Mark II.

I would first try different ammunitions. Even though the 710 is not cheap bulk ammo your gun just might not like it. Here is an interesting link for ammo (22 Rim Fire Ammo Test). He tested many different .22 ammo in six different rifles. It shows how much effect the ammo can have and the author comments on how incosistent most of the ammo is and about their jamming problems.

My Ruger had failure to feeds quite often. Some bullets were getting their nose stuck on the feed ramp, while others were getting caught feeding into the chamber and part of the cladding was getting scraped off by the sharp chamber edge. I polished the feed ramp to a mirror finish and slightly rounded the bottom rim of the chamber where it met the feed ramp. I also deburred (very, very slightly rounded) the entire rim of the chamber to remove sharpness that was snagging the bullet. I used a Dremel tool. I started with a fine polishing stone on the feed ramp then moved to a fine polishing stone and lastly a cotton wheel with buffing rouge. This has taken care of 95% of the failure tofeeds and the gun is dramatically improved with all ammo. I target shoot/plink with open sights and have not noticed a change in accuracy. If shooting scoped in competition I would feel safe polishing the feed ramp and would proceed very carefully around the chamber rim.

My Ruger also liked stove pipe while loading a fresh round. As the bullet was being stripped from the magazine the nose would slide up the feed ramp and the magazine was letting go of some just a tiny bit too soon and the spring pressure was flipping the bullet vertical where it either caught the top of the chamber lip or would get caught by the slide stovepipe style. I slightly squeezed the magazine feed lips so it would retain the bullet slightly longer.

Before my tweeks the gun would have some failure about every 30-50 rounds and now the failures are about every 300+ rounds.

Old 02-28-09, 06:06 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I use Flitz metal polish w/ a bullet shaped hard cotton bit on my Dremel tool.
Polish feed ramp-outside edges & inside of breech.
Most important: polish inside top of magazine & follower.
I use CCI ammo--works great.......................

Old 02-28-09, 07:39 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
I have to say, I don't think I've ever had a problem with my Rugers (22/45 and Gov Target) failing to feed or extract that couldn't be directly traced to the magazine.
I probably never put more than 3 boxes at at time through them w/o a light wipe down though.

Interesting....

Old 03-01-09, 09:09 AM
Group Moderator
Received 290 Votes on 253 Posts
Good tips! Thanks!

I should mention that the failure to feed issue is not just failure to get the round in the chamber, but failure to even strip the round off the mag. Does this change any advice?

I have 5 different mags that I have been using and can't seem to find any one that does it more than others. Also I have not seen any common reason to how many rounds I put in the mags. Our league course of fire is load 5 rounds, shoot, load 5, shoot, return target. In the slow fire we shoot 10 rounds with no pause so I have loaded up to 10 and shot. Some times have had no issues sometimes would.

Anyway, I gave the guns a good cleaning. I shoot next Thursday and will let you know if that changes anything.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: