George Thorogood song lyric

Old 05-15-09, 10:56 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question George Thorogood song lyric

In the song "Cops and Robbers" by George Thorogood there is a mention of building a .38 pistol on a .45 frame. I know next to nothing about guns, just wouldn't trust myself with one due to anger blackouts. I was wondering what the advantages of this would be.

Old 05-15-09, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
The cartridge was designed in 1929 for use in the M1911 (a "45") pistol and was capable of penetrating the body armor and automobile bodies of the time.

The .38 Super offers higher bullet velocities than the 9x19mm Parabellum in factory cartridges. The greater case capacity allows for more powder and results in higher muzzle velocities at approximately similar pressure levels. The .38 Super is generally regarded as a well-balanced cartridge with a flat trajectory, good accuracy and capable of delivering plenty of energy, in fact some loadings will deliver more foot-pounds of kinetic energy than most factory-loaded .45 ACP rounds.

Cut and pasted from wiki....but thats the gist.

Not that songwriters stick to exact facts if they don't rhyme well, but since he said "pistol" which is generally meant to refer to a semi-automatic vs a "revolver", and a .38 Super is pretty much in the same ballistic league as a .357 Magnum (in other words, pretty nasty), that would be my explanation.

Old 05-15-09, 11:26 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you much, I was thinking along totally different lines. I was thinking that it would provide more stability

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: