M4

Old 05-13-10, 04:54 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
M4

OK guys I have a couple of questions? I am still looking at M4's.
I saw a colt with quad rails, and collapsible sites, two clips, and one peace upper for $2100. Can't remember the model but it is something 40. Guy at the store said it was not the something 20.

I am looking at M4's for target shooting. No hunting! I would like to make it into a assault type set up. Maybe a light, laser, and small scope???

First I like the thought that the colt has the rails on it! But my thought is do I need all of this for what I would like to do with it.
Would a $950 model be best? Then I could add the rails and other stuff.

Old 05-14-10, 05:55 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,323 Upvotes on 2,066 Posts
There is a lot of variety and modifications among AR-15's. I'd hate to pay $2k without knowing what exactly is inside. Without knowing I would rather buy something stock and cheaper and then modify it as needed. You can get a sexy aluminum handguard with rails on all sides for about $100+ or a plastic one for $40

I have a SIG 556 which has a rail on top of the receiver and on the sides and bottom of the handguard. I mounted a EOTech on top of the receiver but other than that I don't use any of the other rails. If you want a light and laser then the extra rails would come in handy. Boy, a bottle opener with a picatinny mount would be handy, oh and an iPod mount.

Old 05-21-10, 07:52 AM
Group Moderator
Received 915 Upvotes on 773 Posts
Sorry for being late, I missed this one.

$2100 sounds like way too much for an AR unless it has a piston and even then its too much. I built both mine from parts purchased from gun/trade shows but they are all DPMS parts. I likely have about $1500 into both of them.

First one is a long range "sniper" rifle I use for prairie dog hunting. 24" stainless super bull barrel in 5.56/.233, A3 upper, A2 stock, Nikon scope and a drop in Timminy trigger

My M4 is also an A3 upper with a CCA collapsible stock and 16" barrel.

For complete rifles I strongly suggest checking into Stag Arms since you are on the east coast. They seam to have nice rifles and fair prices. Even their piston uppers rifles are about $1200.
Another one to check out is Rock River Arms. They have more of a hand fitting process but is still less expensive than Colt.

Personally I like to build the rifle. It is quite easy and doesn't take much time.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: