Which AR caliber to choose

Old 08-24-12, 07:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
Which AR caliber to choose

I picked up another lower, with installed parts kit, at my local gun shop for $170. My intentions is to build a rifle with a caliber for hog or deer hunting. Something with more snort then the .223/5.56 of my other two AR's. I did not want to go to .308 because of the non-cross platform of the lowers. I see it as these are my options:

6.8mm SPC
7.62mm x 39
300 AAC Blackout

300 Blackout is a very new cartage which is almost identical as the 300 Whisper.

7.62 x 39 well, I can't say much about it other then it has been around for a very long time and millions of rounds have been used. Ammo is everywhere in FMJ and soft points.

6.8mm has been around a while and ammo is fairly easy to find in FMJ and soft point. ^.8 was new but it is now available from other gun manufactures in rifles other than the AR platform.

I am looking for your thoughts.

Old 08-25-12, 05:37 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
Do you reload or will you be using mostly factory ammo? Then, will you be doing much target shooting with this gun or will it be mostly just for hunting?

If you're going to target shoot a lot I'd go for the 7.62x39 for the dirt cheap plinking ammo. Unfortunately there are not many premium hunting bullets available from factory ammo so you would have to reload if you want some good bullets. It's so cheap to buy that there is no sense in reloading plinking ammo and I'm not sure it's an accurate enough cartridge to spend much time loaded precision target rounds.

If this will be mostly a hunting gun I'd go for the 6.8 SPC which has a wide variety of good bullets available in factory ammo, including my much loved Barnes TSX and TTSX. It's been around long enough and has a good support from many ammunition manufacturers.

Unless you have a particular love for the AAC I just don't see it's benefit over the 6.8 SPC.

Old 08-25-12, 06:57 AM
Group Moderator
Although I do have a press, I will likely not be reloading ammo. I have two other ARs in .223/5.56 that I use for plinking/P-dog hunting. This rifle will be mostly for hunting deer (in the woods) and maybe hogs.

I am kind of leaning towards the 6.8 and can pick up a complete upper for around $400. Of course, I can change uppers for other calibers but I am just thinking of the first one right now.

Thanks! Any other thoughts?

Old 08-25-12, 10:14 AM
P
Group Moderator
I think the 6.8 would be great for hogs. It's about the same power as the .30-30 my dad hunted with earlier this year and it had enough energy to push TSX's all the way through the hog so you should have more than enough penetration with the 7mm bullet.

I really wish the PVS-14's were able to reliably take the recoil of heavier calibers like the 6.8. One of those on top of your rifle would make a perfect hog gun.

Old 08-26-12, 07:31 AM
Group Moderator
Hmm...Night vision. I was thinking of going big and getting an EOTech for it. We'll see.

Old 08-26-12, 10:54 AM
P
Group Moderator
I would spend the extra money and get a NV capable EOTech if you think you may ever feel like spending $3k for night vision. I have had a EOTech 556 for 3 or 4 years and added the 3x magnifier last year and love them both and my only regret is not getting a NV compatible model. Now I'm deciding if I should sell my 556 and possibly the magnifier as well to go to NV for hogs and coyote.

I tried cheap holographics and the point of aim was only accurate when you had the dot centered in the window. With the EOTech being a true laser hologram the reticle is accurate even when in the edges of the window. And I have unfortunately tested the durability of mine. I was driving down the firing range in the golf cart, turned a bit too fast and my Sig 556 with the EOTech mounted went flying and it tumbled and slid to a stop. The EOTech was packed with dirt & leaves but after picking the dirt out of the window it was not even scratched and held it's point of aim.

I really love the EOTech magnifier. I played with other brands and the optics of the Vortex are OK but all, especially the $100 Chinese fell short on the mounts. They are OK if you want to put it on and leave it or don't mind removing it and stuffing it in a pocket when out in the field. About half the cost of the EOTech magnifier is in the mount and it shows. It's a very saxy package and it works very well. At first I was worried that empty casings would hit it when flipped out but it's never been an issue.

Old 08-26-12, 01:52 PM
Group Moderator
I am not sure of the rules in MN for night vision. I should look into that. I just lost 4 chickens, to what I assume, was a coyote. Looking st he specs for the EOtech 556 is says it is for NV. Yours is not?

Old 08-26-12, 03:50 PM
P
Group Moderator
NC for some time has allowed night hunting of hogs with lights (and NC) but required you to get a permit online. The permit was free but made me wonder why bother? August 1st new rules came into affect allowing night hunting of coyote & hog with lights and NV with no special permit required. Still no hunting on Sunday's though.

---
You are correct. The 556 is NV compatible. Mine is a 517 which takes AA batteries and is not NV compatible. Since you brought up the EOTech it's made me realize I've had the same batteries in it for two or three years.

Old 08-26-12, 04:20 PM
Group Moderator
You are correct. The 556 is NV compatible. Mine is a 517 which takes AA batteries and is not NV compatible.
That is why I asked, earlier you posted you had the 556 not the 517 which is why I was .

Old 08-27-12, 10:12 AM
P
Group Moderator
Your thread has really gotten me thinking. I only have one really good scope for night and am considering going to night vision. I have a SIG 556 but really want .308 especially for hogs. I'm wondering if I should think of getting a .308 AR platform rifle. I'd probably get rid of the 5.56 since I don't mind using the .308 for coyote since the pelts from this far south are not worth much. The AR platform would give me the rail space I need for mounting optics and illuminators.

Old 09-10-12, 05:52 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
great thread. I'll add my 2 cents. I have tried dozens of NV scopes, and all I can add is that you get what you pay for. The more I spent, the better the optics. Before you ask what I recommend, for the last 3 years I have been using a scope that was made for me by this mad scientist (not kidding) that I work with. We do a lot of work with the Military and always get invited to play at the ranges when we at forts, he never partook, but one day asked me if I could teach him so he could. So I took him to the family range a few times and as a thank you he asked me if I had any old scopes that I he could modify for me. What I got back is simply amazing, I constantly bug him to start a side biz with me, but he wont (remember he's Crazy). I sold off everything else and have this permanently mounted to a Sig 556.

As for 308 AR platform. You can't go wrong, everything functions like a AR-15, just changed to meet the AR10 standards. take all your furniture off your AR15 and throw it on the 10. If you go this route and get look to sell the 556 let me know, I always have room for more of those.

Old 10-15-12, 09:24 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The 6.8 is only reliable for deer if you handload. Remington rounds in particular are pretty wimpy - they originated the round but nearly wrecked it by a poor chambering and inadequate performance. You also need a slow twist, about 11.5, to get top performance.
The 7.62x39 is also marginal on deer, only really good for smaller ones.
I've heard the 300BLK is better because of the bigger bullets.
See AR15.Com - Your Firearm Resource. (AR-15, AR-10, M4 Carbine, M16, H&K, SIG, FNH, FAL, AK-47, 50 Cal, M1/M1A, Handgun, Pistol, Training, Hunting, and More!) for a ton of info.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: