Pistol Range Bag Recommendations

Old 10-19-12, 06:35 AM
M
Received 27 Upvotes on 21 Posts
Pistol Range Bag Recommendations

I'm looking for recommendations for a pistol range bag that has dedicated pouches, sleeves, etc. for at least two pistols, room for several boxes of ammo, two sets of ear protection, safety glasses, dedicated pockets for magazines. Something rigid enough that it will hold it's shape even when not completely filled.

Old 10-19-12, 06:53 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,287 Upvotes on 1,225 Posts
I use a duffel bag. While I'm sure someone makes what you want, expect it to cost quite a bit.

Old 10-19-12, 06:59 AM
M
I've actually found several on Amazon for under $50 that got good reviews. I like the Blackhawk bag.

Old 10-19-12, 08:12 AM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I just use a tool bag. If it's just me I use a smaller one that came with a Rigid drill a few years back. If I'm taking a few people (only happened twice) I use a bigger Ryobi that came with one of the combo sets I've bought.

I still take the guns in a foam filled gun case that will hold up to 4, but the tool bags carry all the accessories.

Old 10-19-12, 09:00 AM
S
Group Moderator
Yeah, you could call mine a tool bag as well, it's a HD Husky tool bag. I have the weapons in individual cases inside it.

How about a link to what you're looking at, Mossman?

Old 10-19-12, 11:54 AM
M
Here's a link to one I am considering. Black is on back order until mid-November though. I suppose I could just go the tool bag route. I actually have a Husky as well which I really like. It's a little large though. I guess I like the idea of an all-in-one purpose-made solution. And for $30, that's pretty darn good (which is why they are on backorder).

MidwayUSA Compact Competition Range Bag

Old 10-19-12, 11:59 AM
S
Group Moderator
Yeah, I took a look on Amazon and they were cheaper than I was expecting.

I guess it comes down to whether you have something which will work now or whether you can justify the outlay. $30 is pretty easy to justify.

Old 10-19-12, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator
Skip the black....be different, order the tan.

Actually....you might be happier with the full size.
MidwayUSA Competition Range Bag

It's only a bit more and has 2 removable pistol rugs and a lot more room.

Old 10-19-12, 12:25 PM
M
22" is a little too large. I'm looking for something smaller. Not sure about the coyote (tan) color either. I'll think about it. I like this one too: Explorer Shooting Range Gear Carrying Case Bag Black | eBay

Old 10-19-12, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator
Check my edit.....

Looking at the dimensions for the compact...IMO thats pretty darn small. No way you'll be able to carry 2 guns and all the accessories you mentioned. If they are diff calibers that increases the ammo volume as well.

The compact is more for a one gun shooter going to a match....not a practice range session.

Old 10-19-12, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator
Lol...guess you saw my edit...

Old 10-19-12, 01:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Depending on what you feel necessary at the range, but I carry what I need in an M-60 box. As Vic stated, the guns are in a foam block carry case. Spotting scope has it's own case.

Old 11-06-12, 06:27 PM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The relatively inexpensive tool bags from Harbor Freight work well for me. I have a small one for taking pistols to the range and a larger bag to carry about six boxes of 12 gauge ammo and my choke tube collection to the clays range.

Old 11-10-12, 09:46 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Pistol Range Bags?

Certainly shouldn't be a problem finding one that fits your present and potentially future needs IMO. It's simple. Just visit any local privately owned gun shop or big box type sporting goods store in your area rather then shopping online. In that way you can physically see the choices, selections, colors, sizes and any options that come with the bag/carry case that best or better suits your needs.

The idea here is to physically compare each brand and all the options. Any local privately owned gun shop/store will or should have helpful and knowledgeable personnel to assist you filling your needs as well. IMO shopping and supporting local gun businesses is the best option also. Just my opinion of course. Building a relationship with a local retail gun shop/dealer owner is a good idea and wise choice for any future investment you may need or make.

Support your local gun shop. Be glad that owner is there to help and keep your money spent locally. Helps the community too....... Without them all that could be left is a big box store without professional, knowledgeable personnel. Pimple faced Kids if you will....

Also need to consider present needs for a carry bag and any future needs. Best to have one bag that carries everything or maybe one bag for guns only and an ammo box or two to carry ammo in.... Much depends upon what type of shooting you do, supplies needed and where your shooting is done, etc.

Much of what you think or assume you need now may or could change depending upon what type of shooting you're currently doing and that which you might be doing in the future. Cost is a factor but future or potential needs can cost more if needs change. Not much of a market if any for used bags either... Can't trade them up either....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: