Wanting to Buy Air Pellet Pistol

Old 03-10-13, 03:56 PM
Received 5 Votes on 1 Post
Wanting to Buy Air Pellet Pistol

I saw the "sports" thread but decided to post here instead.
I've searched the web some and as usual I'm confused.
I want to spend around $50-60 for a air pistol that shoots mainly pellets (.177) if possible because I already have some of that size that I use in my air rifle. But if I need to get a different calibar for a fairly good pistol I will.
The air rifle is getting so hard to pump that I'm too exhausted to shoot it after 20 pumps. The only thing I plan on shooting is squirrels.
I saw a pistol on Wal-mart that had it's title as a Berrata pellet pistol but when you read the reviews they all say it shoots BB's only.
Can someone point me in the direction of a air pistol (the kind that uses the C02's) that will shoot pellets?

Thank you.

Old 03-10-13, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
There are CO2 guns that will shoot pellets.....but you won't find any decent ones at Wal-Mart. Most CO2 pistols have pretty low velocity...so I wouldn't use them for squirrel control. All you be doing is injuring them in most cases.

Benjamin is one well know brand (there are plenty of others)...but you'll be looking at double your budget for a decent model which I still wouldn't use for anything other than small mice or chipmunk. And even then..it's .22 cal. Pistols of the type you desire just aren't suited or humane for that type of use except at extreme close range.

This is a site that I have used for searching and comparison testing in the past. Small Pest Control Hunting Air Rifles - AirgunDepot.com

Old 03-10-13, 04:27 PM
I looked at Air Depot but didn't really understand what I was looking for. Your link helped!
How about this one? Woud it do what I want?
BERETTA PX-4 Storm 16 shot Air Pistol- Shoots BBs & Pellets! - AirgunDepot.com

Old 03-10-13, 04:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 253 Votes on 221 Posts
Are you planing on killing squirrels or just pissing them off? A pistol BB gun will only piss them off. If you want squirrel on a stick I suggest getting a air rifle. I have a Gamo break barrel rifle that is about 1000 fps that I can hit a 2" target at 50 - 75 yards. It is dead accurate and powerfull! I picked it up at a gun show for about $75.

I tried to kill a squirrel with a daisy rifle that you pump up. (we had a squirrel problem) Took me many hits to bring the poor guy down from the tree. I vowed not to do that again.

Old 03-10-13, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator
As TI said..rifles are much more suited.

The one in your link is only suitable for cans or paper targets.

Notice how the site lists no pistols for small pest control? There's a reason for that....you just can't get the speed necessary. Read the little blub at the top....good info to go by.

Old 03-10-13, 10:34 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
I'll also add that for your stated price range all you will find are low velocity plastic guns. I haven't checked for a couple of years but back them a decent BB/pellet pistol would set you back over $100 and more likely $200.

Old 03-11-13, 05:05 PM
I'm wanting to chase the squirrels away. I want to sting them bad enough so they think twice before coming back.

Old 03-11-13, 05:27 PM
Group Moderator
Received 253 Votes on 221 Posts
Oooo, Maybe a cool looking, full auto, air soft gun might fit the bill.

Old 05-21-14, 03:52 PM
Okay, I'm back.
I bought a Crosman 1077 air rifle. I hit a squirrel in the head at 15 feet. He turns and just looks at me as if to say....."Really?"
LOL.
I have been shooting this thing for about a year and not brought one thing down! No bird, no nothing. I know its shooting pellets as I can shoot the leaves off a tree.
The Crosman was about $145 if I remember right. Today I read a lot of reviews on it saying it leaks and customers weren't happy.
I want to bring a raccooon out of a tree. I also want to plink the neighbors dog who tears my trash open.
SO, now I think I want a .22 air rifle.
Is there a rifle that I can plink a dog without injuring him AND kill a raccoon in a tree? Maybe some kind of rifle that you can pump once or 5 times depending on how serious you are.
Any suggestions? Thank you!!!

Old 05-21-14, 05:13 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Shooting a dog with anything can land you in jail, worse if it was my dog. Sorry, but there are better methods to handle that issue.

Bud

Old 05-21-14, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator
You can't humanely kill a raccoon with any air rifle!! Esp not an el-cheapo...as you were advised before in the thread. Even a .22 Long Rifle requires marksmanship and bullet placement to do it. And "plinking" the neighbors dog could land you in jail.

Why are you shooting birds? For the fun of it?

My suggestion is you take pictures/video of the loose dog tearing into your trash and call animal control or LE and file complaints. Traps for the other animals.

We gave you all the info you needed earlier. .22 high power air rifle specifically for small (squirrel, chipmonk, etc) pest control. Anything bigger and all you will do is wound them.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: