Glock 42

Old 09-06-14, 01:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Glock 42

Took wifey to the range on Labor Day to introduce her to weapons and safety. I started big and worked down after our extensive safety session. Ruger Suoer Red Hawk in .44 mag.....well let's say she has a new respect. Then to the Colt Commander, Colt Cobra, and finally to my Taurus G2 in 9mm. All seemed a little much for her. I was willing to give one of them up if she drooled over it, but luckily it didn't happen.

So we stopped at the gun shop to let her feel some lighter ones. She didn't like the feel of any until he pulled out the Glock 42 in .380.......naturally a Glock$.

Any good, bad, ugly comments on it? She bought it, but the range was overflowing today, so no firing, yet. May let her fire some on the property if it stops raining.

Old 09-06-14, 04:54 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 750 Votes on 689 Posts
It's a good gun but larger than I like in a .380. Oh, and it's ugly.

Even though it's larger than I like the extra heft can really improve the shootability. My ultra light Kel-Tek P3AT is not fun to shoot more than a few clips. The Khar a few ounces heavier is noticeably softer in recoil so the Glock should shoot nicely.

I think the key is what she likes and what feels good in her hand. Oddly I can shoot some pocket pistols better than larger frame sizes. I depends on what fits my hand and has a trigger I'm accustomed to. Just make sure she tries the trigger and see if it suits her. I personally can not shoot the Ruger LCP or LC-9 even though they are amazingly popular but am much better the Kel-Tec P3AT or Kahr CW380 even though they are smaller and lighter. I think it's all in what suits each individual shooter.

Old 09-06-14, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Larry, Larry, Larry! Don't do that stuff. I'm sure your wife has shot before...but hammering them with a cannon is bad bad bad.

I agree the Glock is ugly and bigger than it needs to be in my opinion. There are better options out there. I think they sell just due to familiarity of full size versions. The two PD mentions are excellent. Because I'm a 1911 guy, I also like the Sig version of the Pony. I have an old version Colt Gov .380 which is the bomb. I'd probably sell it (with the Pachy grips and 3 mags) for $900 or so if yer interested. (No I wouldn't)

I mostly slip my Tanfiglio .25 in my pocket when in a hurry, but the .380 Gv'mt travels with me. The .45 Combat Commander is just too much to haul around, though that's what I shoot the best.

Kinda funny, my wife doesn't like shooting, though she qualified well in the Navy for POW and OOD for the quarterdeck watch. Even qualified with shotguns and M-14 for defense force. Just not her thing. No iterest in going to the range with me. Step-son on the other hand, loves it.

Old 09-06-14, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator
Received 63 Votes on 55 Posts
I thought this was the starter gun in GA.....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]37835[/ATTACH]

Attached Images  
Old 09-06-14, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator
Oh Man...a Wrist Rocket! I had one of those in OH. OMG it was fun!

Old 09-06-14, 07:33 PM
Mike, those things are surprisingly accurate. Not as accurate as David's sling, but good. Yeah, Vic. I started her too big, but at least she didn't drop it i still think the Bodyguard would be a good size in .380. She held the Kahr and said it was too heavy, bearing out what you said, Dane. The Glock weighs less than a loaded magazine with 6 in it.
We'll see tomorrow.

Old 09-07-14, 06:52 AM
P
Group Moderator
Here are the empty weights of the pistols discussed:
8.3 oz Kel-Tec P3AT
10.2 oz Kahr CW380
13.7 oz Glock 42

Old 09-07-14, 08:04 AM
Aah, good info. Thanks, Dane. Quite a difference.

Old 09-07-14, 02:19 PM
P
Group Moderator
I really notice the two ounce difference between the Kel-Tec and Kahr. But, what is great for lightweight carrying you can feel when shooting. Of the two I'd say the Kahr has the better trigger and higher quality construction throughout. The Kel-Tec is very functional and goes bang every time I've pulled the trigger but it's a third lower in price so there isn't much room for corrosion protecting finishes or stainless steel. And, you've got to be careful when disassembling the ejector loves to leap from the gun and hide under anything in the room. But for the lightest, reliable gun I don't think you can beat the Kel-Tec. The Kahr CW380 moves up on the list a bit offering stainless steel for many parts and the extra couple ounces make range time a bit more enjoyable. Still, neither is meant to be a "shooting" gun. They are "I don't want to carry a gun guns" intended for that oh $kit situation we hope never comes.

So, when people are shopping for a pocket gun I don't like them to get too hung up on how it feels and the trigger pull. Bigger guns almost always feel better. Little pocket guns leave at least a finger or two flapping with nothing to grip. This is not a gun for target practice, hunting or true defense when you know something's coming. It's meant to be so small, light and easy to carry that you take it with you everywhere, all the time. You just need to be able to hold and shoot it well enough.

That said the feel in your hand and trigger pull are important. The Ruger's (LCP and LC9) feel great in my hand but the trigger pull is so long that the gun still hasn't gone bang when I think it should and I've never learned to shoot them well. Others love them and can pick them up and shoot well, but not me.

If she does get a gun and carries it make sure you get a holster or case of some sort and train/practice. In many cases it's a more dangerous gun than larger ones. In your pocket or purse the muzzle is sometimes or always pointed at the carrier. The carrier must be trained, learn and practice to never pull, press or poke the trigger by accident while fishing in a pocket or purse... EVER! The most likely person to get shot is the carrier. Training in muscle memory until it's 100% is the best defense.

Old 09-07-14, 03:22 PM
I couldn't fire the Glock 42 at the range for very long, as you say, dangling fingers. I could buy magazine extensions, but that only takes care of one finger, but may help her a little. The Taurus G2 with the 12 shot mag is plenty big for my fat hands. Her pistol is for one of those aw crap moments, not range or prolonged shooting. She gets 6 off, I'd be happy. So I don't have to give up one of my collection guns for her to carry....whew! Another couple of days at the range on safety and accuracy will be good. She is excited about going.

Old 09-07-14, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator
The Ruger's (LCP and LC9) feel great in my hand but the trigger pull is so long that the gun still hasn't gone bang when I think it should and I've never learned to shoot them well.
I've heard that more than a few times. I wonder if those that do well are more revolver or DAO semi-auto shooters.

Even though it's small and light (16.5 oz loaded) I can shoot my .380 Gov Pocketlite almost as well as my CC. I'd really like to get my hands on a Mustang, I think the balance would be a bit better. The Gov is relatively muzzle heavy. I handled a Sig P-238 which is much like a Mustang and it felt real nice. Not that I have that kind of money floating around. I'd have to sell 2 to buy 1 most likely.

Old 09-07-14, 03:44 PM
Yeah, Vic. I'm new to DAO, too, and it is different. Not quite as stiff as double action revolvers, but different. The Mustang would be a good addition.....at $550+, though.

Old 09-07-14, 07:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 253 Votes on 221 Posts
I am still on my hunt for a pocket 380 ACP pistol. Narrowed down to the Kahr CW380 and the Turaurs 738FS TCP because of their smooth triggers.. Both sub $250 guns.

Old 09-07-14, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator
Oh stop being cheap TI. Sig or Colt....just do it!

Old 09-19-14, 02:41 PM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
we've got sig .380's sprinkled about the house in 230 & 232 models w/home defense loads,,, i don't want to be standing in front of nagzilla if she has to reach for 1,,, standard personal carry's a ruger 94 9mm but occasionally i'll suit up 1 of the sigs,,, armslist or gunbroker is where i found ours

Old 09-19-14, 03:00 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 97 Votes on 85 Posts
I own a Sig 230 and love it. Were I to lose it somehow, I would replace it with a 232 immediately.

As far as something that can always be carried without regard to how nice it is to shoot (responding to Dane's post # 9 here) I have a DAO hammerless titanium S&W .38 snubby - fits easily in the front pocket of a pair of pants or shorts without being seen.

Old 09-20-14, 06:59 PM
Well, range was empty today, 73 degrees, perfect day. She acclimated well to the .380. Whew!! She is anxious to go back, now that she has "her" gun. One thing I noticed, however. The Glock required a full trigger pull with each round. My Taurus G2 didn't. But she is happy. Trickle down.

Old 09-20-14, 07:34 PM
Super Moderator
Never liked the original Glocks...grip rubbed my thumb knuckle. Are the newer ones any better? Not that I'll be running out to buy one.

Old 09-20-14, 09:25 PM
It is a skinnier gun than the earlier models, since it is basically a pocket pistol. So the grip is lacking the bulk. Being a 6 round mag, too. Now with the G2 with 12 shots in an offset mag,the grip is more "manly".

Old 10-12-14, 02:00 PM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
Not sure if it will save you any money, but is it a Glock from Tiffany and Co.?

Anyway, the wifey would love the box it came in.....

Name:  100_03c.jpg
Views: 5598
Size:  36.4 KB

Old 10-12-14, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator
Gold plated slide and diamond inlaid 3 dot sights? Jeez they couldn't even gold plate the cases and silver plate the bullets? I think I'll be spending my money elsewhere! (Like for groceries and utilities)

Old 10-12-14, 04:41 PM
P
Group Moderator
Gee, it goes along with the pink bullets Hornady is pushing.

Old 10-12-14, 04:52 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 97 Votes on 85 Posts
Not a Glock fan in the first place but man is that thing ugly! I don't even want to know the price difference between it and the stock model.

Last edited by stickshift; 10-13-14 at 06:13 AM.
Old 10-13-14, 06:11 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 361 Votes on 318 Posts
With that green it ought to be easily found wherever you lay it down, wonder if it glows in the dark

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: