.22 Shells - What's the Real Scoop

Old 08-14-15, 07:05 PM
Received 17 Votes on 12 Posts
.22 Shells - What's the Real Scoop

Two years ago when I was looking for .22 shells I was told by various sources that the manufacturers were ramping up production and adding shifts. I was also told manufacturers were building new plants. I was also told the hoarders were buying up all the ammo as it was produced because of Obama. I also read that Homeland Security was buying up all the ammo. I was also told that if I went to Walmart right at 7 a.m. I could get in line and buy up to three boxes. Well, it's now late 2015 and .22 ammo still isn't available. I've been to Walmart 5 times in a three week period and they say they didn't get any ammo in.

What's the real scoop on .22 ammo? This is one of the most popular shells that used to be on the market and the shells used to cost only a couple cents each. What is a person to do if all they want to do is a little plinking and target shooting?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-15, 07:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Plinking and target shooting? Best I can suggest is a quality air rifle. You can find a good one for about $150...real good for $200. Much less for used. Even a cheap BB gun can be fun.

You can still find .22, but not the plinking stuff at a decent price. I don't know anyone whose going to use $12-20 a box Eley, RWS, or Federal target stuff for that.

Last time I saw a box of "cheap" stuff, I think it was something like $4.50? I remember when they were $.50 a box, less if you bought a brick. I just looked at a box of CBee caps I have, and they were $2.29, but they are at least 5-7 yrs old and always cost more than regular LR. Gunshops will often have it when chains won't, but they are mighty proud of the fact and charge accordingly..

Old 08-14-15, 07:50 PM
Received 16 Votes on 14 Posts
It is almost two years old but this article in Forbes sheds some light on the subject.

Is The Obama Administration The Cause Of Gun Ammunition Shortages?

Old 08-14-15, 08:46 PM
I have to think that eventually the people hording all of the ammo will run out of space. That guy in CA had 1,200 guns and 2 tons of ammunition. But it doesn't take a lot of extra purchases from regular gun owners to absorb everything they are currently making. I have noticed that many of the hunting calibers are now showing up at WM, but haven't seen a brick of 22 in quite awhile.

Bud

Old 08-14-15, 09:23 PM
Super Moderator
Yeah, that guy in CA wasn't a dealer or militia person...he was just a hoarder. Too much money and nothing to do. Could have just as easily been cats, dogs, or National Geographics. Half of his firearms probably aren't even legal to sell in CA any more.

I really do think the problem is hoarders and preppers. They see something they haven't in a while and buy all they can. I've got a couple of ammo cans full of rimfire and centerfire for the guns I own, mostly defensive ammo with just a few boxes (ok, 6 ea) each of practice stuff.

I haven't been shooting in a while but after all my personal issues are resolved, I may get back to reloading, though even the components for that have gone way up since the last time I did it. I could easily reload 2000 rds of .45 for about $50, maybe less depending on the load. I just can't believe the cost of components has gone up so much. At least I kept all my brass and still have a couple of thousand primers I think.

Old 08-15-15, 05:57 AM
The last article I read on that hoarder was his collection was valued at over $1,000,000. Doubt there are many like him.

But just casual owners who maybe had a dozen boxes of mixed ammo who now have a dozen of each account for a massive amount of ammo. And, this shortage is somewhat self perpetuating in that every visit where we find empty shelves fuels our concerns that maybe we should buy some more, despite zero additional need. I know that IF I saw a dozen bricks of 22 on a shelf I would probably buy the limit and return shortly to see if any was left. It is going to take a lot of ammo on the shelf to suppress that urge.

Bud

Old 08-15-15, 06:11 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I buy my ammo as I use it up at the range, and keep a stock of each. I don't shoot the .22's as much as I do larger formats. I just went to my favorite online supplier and am still catching my breath I can buy 9mm ammo as cheaply or cheaper than what they are selling .22LR for. Gee. $12.50 for 50 (FIFTY) rounds? Gimme a break! I'll admit, some of the .22LR I have is old stock since I don't shoot it much, and still has the Western Auto sticker on it at 57 cents. You could buy a brick for under $10.

Old 08-15-15, 07:47 AM
Group Moderator
Received 33 Votes on 29 Posts
I get my hay from a guy that has worked at federal for over 30 years. I asked him about .22 ammo and he said they are producing 1,000,000 rounds per day! He doesn't know where they are all going.

I have been seeing .22 ammo in stores and gun shows but, as Chandler mentioned, the prices are fairly steep.

If you really are looking for some type of ammo, check wikiarms. It is a search engine to find the best prices on ammo. It shows you the type of ammo, price per round, total price, last updated, and a link where to buy. Checking right now there is some Federal Auto Match for .056 per round which is not a bad price now days.

Another place to go is slickguns.

Old 08-15-15, 08:35 AM
I see in the 9mm category, the first listing is TulAmmo. I shoot that at the range, and that is where I get mine. I know it is steel casings, but never had a misfire or stovepipe. Price is right at .17/round. I shoot my .44 mag very conservatively since it is nearly .50/round

Old 08-15-15, 08:54 AM
I kI am not interested in buying any air rifles. I'd just like to be able to buy the old time .22 LR shells not for competition shooting, but for casual target shooting with my brother-in-law and nephews out on the farm. They can't find any shells either. I never would have thought I'd see the day when you can't even find them on the shelves at even a local gas station. I have 6 or 7 boxes of 9 mm shells and maybe should pick up a couple more next time I see them. Hard to believe 9 mm are easier to find. A while back I asked a guy behind the counter at Cabela's how they can even sell a .22 rifle these days and he says they keep enough shells to sell a purchaser a couple boxes to get them started. Then what??

I know they can be bought online, but at what cost? The online sellers are getting more for .22 LR shells than for 9 mm or .45s.

Old 08-15-15, 09:01 AM
Group Moderator
If you like brass cased, copper plated 9mm ammo, (and others) I have been shooting some re-manufactured stuff from Freedom Munitions for about .19 per round. If you reload, this is the stuff to buy. Most cases you can get free shipping. You might have to sign up for their e-mail alerts, but just be sure to unsubscribe or you will get an e-mail every day, sometimes two.

Joe, If you look at my earlier post 325 rounds of round nose .22 for $18.36. Bad side is shipping quoted to me is $17.82. You might be able to find a coupon code online someplace.

Old 08-15-15, 03:27 PM
Tolyn, you said "he said they are producing 1,000,000 rounds per day! He doesn't know where they are all going."
I was thinking about something else when it popped into my head, how many bricks would that be?
1,000,000 divided by 500 = 2,000 bricks. Divide by 50 and we get 40 bricks per state per day. I wonder how many rounds are being expended per day? 22's are like that old phrase, you can't shoot just one.

Bud

Old 08-15-15, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator
I would imagine that million a day is just one line in one factory owned by one company. I think multiplying by at least a factor of 10 if not more, would be more accurate. And that's just US production.

Old 08-15-15, 06:15 PM
Group Moderator
That's a great point Bud! I never put it in those terms and it puts it into a better perspective.

Old 08-15-15, 06:31 PM
I would imagine that million a day is just one line in one factory owned by one company. I think multiplying by at least a factor of 10 if not more, would be more accurate. And that's just US production.
Now you are really getting my point. Following Bud's formula that is 40 bricks per day per state and multiplying that by 10 is 400 or more bricks per day per state. That is over 2,000 bricks per week per state. And, you also have to consider that some states like California, New York, Rhode Island and some of the other more liberal states with strict regulation on guns and ammo won't be selling any 400 to 500 bricks a week. So, where is all that ammo going? Shouldn't at least some of it start showing up on the shelves at Walmart or where ever? That goes back to my original question, what's the real scoop on .22 ammo?

Old 08-15-15, 06:49 PM
Basically, CJ it is supply and demand. You can get all you want. Maybe not from WalMart, since they don't care whether you buy it or not. Those ammo sites that Tolyn mentioned has a gaggle of suppliers, but at what cost? A nickel a round?!

Old 08-15-15, 07:18 PM
There may be some "fire" sales in the Seattle gun shops just before they leave the city. Seattle just passed an ordinance to levy a five cents per round tax on ammunition.

Seattle City Council Passes Per-Bullet Tax in City Limits

Oh, the Councilman (Tim Burgess) mentioned in the story is a former civilian employee of the Seattle Police Department. He is also a blowhard. I know the latter since we both attended the same high school although he was one grade ahead of me.

In reality the new ordinance will likely be overturned by the courts but that could take a few years.

Old 08-16-15, 06:50 AM
Those ammo sites that Tolyn mentioned has a gaggle of suppliers, but at what cost? A nickel a round?!
I really don't have a problem with a nickel a round considering inflation, but you have to find them first. I haven't yet checked the sites yet, but I will. There's another site that is supposed to be pretty good, but at the moment I can't think of the name. Anyone ever bought from Cheaper than Dirt?

There may be some "fire" sales in the Seattle gun shops just before they leave the city. Seattle just passed an ordinance to levy a five cents per round tax on ammunition.
I read about that a few days ago, Furd. It's a shame that law abiding citizens have to be punished like that.

Old 08-16-15, 06:58 AM
CJ, that is where I get my ammo. Turn around is about 3 days. Make sure you order it all from the same warehouse or you will have multiple shipping charges.

Old 08-16-15, 04:57 PM

I read about that a few days ago, Furd. It's a shame that law abiding citizens have to be punished like that.
Seattle has some of the stupidest politicians to ever hold office. Even when it was pointed out that state law prohibited the city from making their own laws concerning firearms they went ahead and did it, claiming it was a taxation issue, not a firearms issue.

Some years ago Seattle also passed an ordinance prohibiting any firearms in city parks. It took two years as I recall but the state supreme court ruled it unconstitutional (according to the state constitution) and the ordinance was repealed.

Although I was born and raised in Seattle I try my best to NOT enter the city. I moved out some 38 years ago and I have never regretted that decision. Seattle USED to be a good and decent place to live but these days I wouldn't live there on a bet.

Old 08-16-15, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator
It's so odd that Seattle is the way it is, almost an anomaly vs the rest of the state if I'm correct? I had 2 guys from WA that worked for me in the Navy and WA had some of the least restrictive gun laws as well as low taxes in the 80's(?). Was it the migration from CA that changed it?

I think you may be right though...what shops there are will move outside the city. Just as other big companies have left the entire state when laws like this were passed. Look at Magpul leaving CO, Ruger expanded to AZ and NC instead of locally.

Old 08-17-15, 09:42 AM
Originally Posted by CJ
Anyone ever bought from Cheaper than Dirt?
I recently read they had gone out of business. Many shooters celebrate their demise as they were one of the biggest gougers online. Karma & all that...

Old 08-17-15, 10:22 AM
Group Moderator
Web site is still up. You have a link or source you can post?

Old 08-17-15, 01:48 PM
I still get catalogs from them and buy from them almost every few weeks, so hopefully they are still in business Good pricing so far. Great service, too.

Old 08-18-15, 07:19 AM
Sorry--retail store(s). No idea if the entire operation is circling the drain or not.

Old 09-21-15, 09:46 AM
I noticed yesterday that Cabela's is now accepting online orders for .22 LR ammo that is supposedly in stock with a maximum of 5 boxes/50 per day per person. I ordered 5 boxes of the CCI Stingers at $7.99/box of 50. I thought it was kind of high, but I ordered them anyway. I'd much rather have the mini-mags, but they don't offer them. There was also a CCI product offered at $4.99/box of 50, but there was also a note that they may not operate the action of a semiautomatic.

Old 09-21-15, 10:14 AM
Bought 50 rounds of .22 mag the other day for $25 tax included. Nearly fell over.

Old 09-21-15, 10:59 AM
I've been watching the two box store near me and all I see is the sign of 3 brick limit, but no bricks. But at $7.99 for fifty, I'll keep waiting. Sure brings back memories of $.35 a box on Base, dad was air force.

Bud

Old 09-21-15, 06:48 PM
But at $7.99 for fifty, I'll keep waiting.
I know, $7.99 is high and I thought about it a bit before making my decision, but I also had a couple $50 gift cards so I went ahead and placed the order. Hopefully all .22 rounds will start becoming available at a more reasonable price soon.

Old 09-21-15, 07:15 PM
I set up a 30' shooting station in my basement. Just me and the wife and she is babysitting at my daughters most of the time. So ear protection and my bad hearing and all I hear is a thud. At the rifle club many years ago we shot at 50' so not all that different. At least that gives me a reason to clean the gun and use up some of the old ammo.

Somehow I don't think the volume of ammo being manufactured is being used, which means the home shelves are filling up, somewhere. Eventually those doing the buying will say enough and the store shelves will be replenished and presumably the pressure on prices will allow them to come down. Eventually!

Bud

Old 11-22-15, 06:12 PM
I stopped at Walmart one day last week just before noon to pick up some paper targets for the Thanksgiving weekend and noticed they had about 20 boxes of Remington .22LR shells in the locked case. I bought the maximum 3 boxes of 100 for $6.97 each. The guy said they would all be gone by that evening. While it was on my mind I checked Bass Pro's website and saw they had a Christmas Special for online order; a package of 3 boxes of CCI .22LR shells for $24.99. I ordered a package. Maybe I just had a lucky week, but seems like .22 shells might be starting to come available again. I checked the other .22LR offerings on the Bass Pro site and they were all still marked, "Available In Store Only", but their stores never seem to have them in stock. Only the Christmas Special package was available for online orders. Still keeping my fingers crossed.

Old 11-23-15, 06:42 AM
Bass Pro's Thanksgiving/Black Friday sales circular has 2 different 500-rd deals. Store only, limit one. Wonder how long they will last.

Old 11-26-15, 07:36 AM
The Black Friday special sale items don't generally last very long. I suspect the 500 round deal may last maybe an hour per store, but I refuse to get up in the middle of the night just to fight the crowds and go shopping.

Old 12-19-15, 03:20 AM
In reference to post #17 and the Seattle ordinance imposing a special sales tax on ammunition, the King County judge hearing the case is supposed to issue a ruling next Tuesday.

Seattle gun & ammo tax under fire from Judge | Local & Regional | Seattle News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KOMO News

From the story:
“The ordinance is aimed at the cost of gun violence,” said William Abrams who is the attorney representing the city of Seattle. “The ordinance is not aimed at eliminating gun sales."
No, it isn't about eliminating GUN sales, it is about eliminating AMMUNITION sales. What good is a gun without ammunition? Ya gonna throw the gun at the bad guy hoping to hit him in the head and give him a concussion?

But the owner of Precise Shooter on Seattle’s Aurora Avenue says that’s exactly what it will do – shutter his Seattle business.

“If I were to pay this tax I would have no income,” said Sergey Solyanik who owns Precise Shooter.

Solyanik says he will have to his move his business out of the city if he’s forced to pay the new tax.

“I cannot pass this (cost)along to my customers because they buy things on the internet and I compete
with the internet,” said Solyanik who says high prices would just force his clientele to go elsewhere.
EXACTLY! The ordinance would do nothing but force lawful businesses to close and also inconvenience lawful citizens.

Idiots!

Old 12-19-15, 05:02 AM
Your administration must be still neanderthal in brain size, Furd. Thinking a tax will help pay for "gun" violence, when, in reality, it is "people" violence using guns as a tool is absurd. You can't tax yourself into prosperity.

Old 12-19-15, 05:07 AM
Not "my" administration, I haven't lived or voted in Seattle since 1977. I do think you are correct though about the brain size of the Seattle politicians.