.40 vs 9mm

Old 08-16-15, 12:17 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
.40 vs 9mm

I have been patiently waiting to purchase a semi-automatic pistol in a 9mm version with a composite body for reduced weight. The darn gun has been on allocation and unavailable for the last 9 months. One has surfaced recently in a .40 version and I'm debating on weather to grab it or continue to be patient. Any thoughts or insight on this caliber and whether it is a good move long term or not. It is a fuller size gun as opposed to a real compact so I'm thinking that the increased recoil should not be an issue. But everything I read is that the .40 is a "snappy" feel with regard to the recoil. FWIW- I have not fired a .40 cal anything as of yet.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-15, 12:48 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I shoot the Taurus PT111 G2 in 9mm. Super lightweight. 12 shot mag. Cheapest ammo runs about $9.50 for 50 rounds. Same brand ammo for a .40 runs $12.50 for 50. Not a deal breaker, but I don't particularly like heavier pistols, and the .40 would be heavier, IMO. I don't understand the hold up on the one you want.

Old 08-16-15, 12:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 223 Votes on 196 Posts
You didn't mention what gun you are waiting for, but I'm sure we can find it for you. Gunbroker is a good source and also has a database for FFL holders near you that can do the transfer paperwork to transfer the firearm to you. Normally for between $15-$25.

IMO - I would stick to 9mm. Ammo is less expensive, magazine capacity is greater if you live in a state that allows mags greater then 10 rounds, and recoil is slightly lighter, but not by much. Local police depts. around me are starting to drop .40 cal for 9mm for the mag capacity because the bullet tech has gotten better in order to stop a threat.

Old 08-16-15, 04:39 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 686 Votes on 633 Posts
I have identical HK P2000SK Compact in both 9mm and .40SW. The difference in recoil is noticeable even in a gun that heavy. It's not earth shattering but there is a difference especially when shooting them back to back. You also have to weigh the loss in magazine capacity.

Back when I got my HK's my situation was different. Now I tend towards lighter and smaller. Now I prefer to carry a Kahr CW380. It's recoil is actually worse than my HK in .40 but it's oh so small, light and stainless steel durable.

Something to keep at home is one thing. In that case I'd say a pistol is good to keep by the bed but for daily carry I find that something you will actually carry EVERYWHERE ALL THE TIME is more important.

Old 08-16-15, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I agree with everything TI said. There used to be a reason for the .40 and many departments switched. For all the reasons he stated, most have switched back. Cheaper ammo, less recoil, just as accurate, just as (if not more) effective.

I'm a died in the wool .45 guy, but my next choice for a major caliber would be 9mm. I carry my Colt .380 more than anything else, but that's just because toting an all steel .45 on my body would require suspenders to keep my pants up or a shoulder rig which is not feasible.

If you look at the development of the .40, it was basically a shortened 10mm, which was what the FBI started using after the disaster in Miami in 1986. Even they backed down from the 10mm since it was basically a .41 Magnum which back in the day some people considered the ideal LE round. That was back before all the "magic" bullets came out.

The .40 is really dying out in popularity, with good reason.

Old 08-16-15, 05:05 PM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
FWIW it's also a NATO round.

Old 08-16-15, 05:18 PM
Here is the animal in question - Review: Baby Desert Eagle II - Handguns Although, I am looking at the polymer version with the ergonomic grip.

Thanks as always for the input, wonderfully educational.

I think that GunBroker has one with the configuration I want, but the reserve is more than I have seen, plus the sales tax from a higher rate state, plus shipping, plus transfer fees pushes it out of the comfort zone. However, it is funny that all the shops I have visited never mentioned bringing in one on a transfer. They simply said it was unavailable through their suppliers.

Old 08-16-15, 05:31 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 686 Votes on 633 Posts
In a full size frame like that I would not shy away from .40 because of recoil. I would consider capacity and ammunition cost but I don't think the .40 is difficult to control in a frame that size and weight. It is more recoil than the 9mm so I won't say they are identical but the large frame gives you a lot to hold onto and the mass do a lot to mitigate the extra power. If you were considering a small pocket pistol the difference would be much more noticeable.

Old 08-16-15, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator
The BDE is supposed to be nice and it sure looks good, but it's basically just a CZ variant. And the squared trigger guard is real old school. I don't know anyone who shoots that style anymore. Seems to be a European thing. I love the SIG pistols, but they have the same square front.

I've also never liked a frame mounted safety, just seems unnatural to my hand. I guess you just have to get used to it?

I think you could probably find another version of a CZ that would fit just as well.

@PD, notice he said he was looking for the polymer version, that's going to be a lot lighter.

Old 08-16-15, 07:34 PM
I've held a CZ75 sp-01 at a gun show and while it fit my hand nicely, it weighed a ton unloaded. Have test fired Glocks, Sigs, Taurus' and a couple of revolvers. None compared to the ease of this model in both fit and shooting ability. Might be a little big, but it sure feels right.

Old 08-16-15, 08:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 223 Votes on 196 Posts
A buddy of mine was looking for a steel framed Baby Eagle for quite a few years and never did find one. Last one I saw was the one he fell in love with but didn't have the means to buy it. He finally settled on a Armscor AR-24 which is a CZ75 clone

Czizzi - It appears the Baby Eagle II is the steel framed version according to the website. https://www.magnumresearch.com/Firea...e-15-round.asp I think you want to check out the Baby eagle III which is the new polymer frame version. https://www.magnumresearch.com/Firea...e-16-Round.asp Another friend of mine just picked up a Baby Eagle III for his girlfriend. Said she really likes it.

One of the worst things about having 9mm and .40 is the case size is close, which can be tough to sort if you reload.

@PD - I also carry a CW380 and also like for all the things you mentioned. Plus I got it for $275 out the door!

Old 08-16-15, 08:38 PM
Super Moderator
the case size is very close,
It's even worse when shooting 9mm and .45. 9's will fit right inside a .45 and you gotta shake, rattle, and roll to get them out if they already went through the polisher.

I prefer to carry a Kahr CW380.
I wish someone would buy one of the new small cheap autos that are made in FL I think and let us know. For the life of me I can't remember or find the name. Not Kahr or Kel-Tec. Seems like it begins with an S?

Z...you might want to check out the Jericho brand. I believe it may be the exact same thing as the BDE? Very very similar at least. Pretty sure the Desert Eagle line was started by IWI who makes the Jericho. Gunbroker has a ton of poly framed models both in the Jericho and BDE.

Old 08-17-15, 04:48 AM
I had read banter about hard line enthusiasts complaining about the Baby Desert Eagle name and insisted it should only be referred to as the Jericho 941. However, I never realized that both were available. I assumed that as soon as Magnum Research got its hands on it only one (BDE) was available. Also, as many gun shops I have stopped into, aside from the blank stare when I inquire about the BDE all they do is search there computer. Never has anyone provided the cross reference until now. Thank you.

It does appear that there are slight differences. Magazine is 14+1 BDE and 16+1 Jericho. Double sided safety lever on BDE and single right side only on the Jericho. I will have to now do some more investigative to see if someone close by stocks it. One I checked was 2 hrs away. I'm sure I can find one closer.

Old 08-17-15, 10:31 AM
G
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Z - If you've never been to the gun show in Hillsville on Labor Day weekend you owe it to yourself. I haven't been in many years but It's hard for me to imagine not being able to find anything you want that goes "bang".

Old 08-17-15, 12:48 PM
Guy48065, the shows around here don't offer much in the line of this particular gun. There is one dealer who shows up with 2 all steel snub nose compacts which I am not interested in. And apparently no one in really interested in a transfer or they would track one down for me. Maybe I'm used to a different level of customer service, but if they don't carry it in stock, the attitude is - Meh.

Old 08-18-15, 08:23 AM
G
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Z - I'm just saying the gun show/fleamarket held annually in Hillsville, VA is huge. I made the trip from MI several times.

Old 08-18-15, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator
Maybe it's changed, but I used to do very well at the gun shows they had at the Coliseum in Hampton. The main floor as well as the outer areas were always filled. Prob a lot of prepper sales now, but still had all the local dealers as well as a lot of out of towners.