High Standard derringer DM-101

Old 09-12-15, 04:56 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
High Standard derringer DM-101

I remembered owning one of these in .22 mag way back in the 70's. As always, hindsight is better, and I regret selling it. On a fluke, I bought one through a gun auction site. Delivered yesterday and filled out all the paperwork, since it came from NY.

I forgot how powerful a .22 mag was. Just wanted it for a summertime pocket pistol. Anyone have any pros and cons on these? It seems to be solidly built.

Old 09-12-15, 05:03 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 361 Votes on 318 Posts
40 yrs or so ago I traded for a 22 mag derringer, I don't remember the make. It was a 2 shot - over/under. I do remember that it was next to impossible to hit what you aimed at While I was eager to get it, I didn't keep it long. I do believe there was a good reason that little pistol had been traded multiple times.

Old 09-12-15, 02:16 PM
I remember buying "bricks" of .22's for chump change way back when. I haven't bought any lately......until today. 50 rounds of .22 WMR was $25 And I had to go several places to find them. Wal Mart limits you to 3 boxes and are out of all .22's. Everyone was pointing me to a particular dealer. When I arrived there was a large poster board with "I have .22 Mags" posted on his door.

Old 09-12-15, 03:58 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
There are several .22 Mag aficionados in the gun mags. A .22 Mag (with the right load) isn't much below a .380 or .38 Spl. Prob is, they aren't much smaller either.

I have to say though, the muzzle blast and flash is way out of proportion to the power. I have an H&R .22LR and a .22Mag convertible and I rarely shoot the Mag cylinder.

Neighbors Dad was over the other night, I could tell he was carrying right away (constant adjusting and checking) and I asked what he had. Ruger LC9. Couldn't believe how small and light it was even compared to my Colt .380 Lightweight. Why have something with 2 shots when you can have something more powerful and probably lighter with 6 shots?

Old 09-13-15, 03:52 AM
You are right on the muzzle flash. Probably out a foot or better. My regular carry is a Taurus PT111 G2 with 12+1 in 9mm, but, as you noticed in your neighbor it is uncomfortable to carry when wearing lightweight clothing. The High Standard fits quite nicely as a wallet (holster coming) in the back pocket without all the adjusting. Two shots is better than pointing your finger and squealing like a girl, I guess.

I noted the dealer had 6 versions (loads) of the .22 mag. He asked if I were hunting hogs. I hunt hogs with a .44 mag, and certainly would not consider a .22 mag for that, but he said it would work if placed properly. I'll wait for the movie to come out

Old 09-13-15, 06:46 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Well, you can hunt anything if the round is placed right. Heck, back in OH people spotlighted deer and used .22 LR. Some big hunter back in the day used a .17 Rem on everything up to elk. I think thats just stupid.

That LC9 was just so light it felt like a toy, of course that was with the mag out, but I doubt much difference fully loaded. I dunno, prob just me, but never been a fan of plastic guns. Could never shoot a Glock worth crud, same with the S&W Sigma(?). They just felt WRONG. Might have to try some of the newer ones.

I'd go with a Ruger LCR before any sort of derringer. 5 vs 2 wins everyday in my book.

Old 09-13-15, 02:12 PM
I have really been looking for a S&W .380 Bodyguard, but none at the latest gun shows and I don't like retail. 5+1 and small, skinny. The derringer is fine for now. Winter is coming on and I can bulk up clothing.

Old 09-13-15, 05:31 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 752 Votes on 691 Posts
If you were my neighbor I'd be asking if you wanted to buy my LC-9. It works but it has not become one of my happy guns. For some reason I can shoot a little Kahr or Kel-Tec 380 better than a larger frame like the LC-9.

Have you shot your High Standard yet? My father has a number Bond Arms and while they look cool I just can't stand the funky pivot point on the trigger.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: