The Wild East

Old 10-17-15, 05:45 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
The Wild East

We are not the wild west, but the new "constitutional carry" may make us the wild east. At least until folks get used to the new "no CC required" law.

Basically I feel it is a move in the right direction, but there is nothing wrong with requiring folks who intend to conceal to have to take a course that explains the responsibilities involved. It is strange, but carrying a gun means never using it (hopefully). It is a totally last resort option and I'm certain we will see too many used to threaten others when they should never have been displayed.

Along with the new CC rules they now allow silencers for hunting with a federal ($20) permit and switch blades are no longer illegal. I think I felt the earth shake.

Bud

Old 10-17-15, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I dunno about the switch blades....but a suppressor (not silencer) carriers a $200 tax to just buy it...and the wait is about 3-6 months. Might be a $20 fee to use it, but there's more than that.

I agree on most of your other points, though my military training suffices for most of the requirements. Trust me, I had a lot of it in the positions I was in. Far more that the 8 hrs or so that most places require.

Old 10-17-15, 09:22 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
The wording they use in regards to the suppressor are: "a device to suppress or deaden the sound or natural report of a firearm". That is almost exactly the definition of a silencer: "a device for deadening the report of a firearm".
SP0333, LD 942, item 1, An Act To Permit the Use of Firearm Noise Suppression Devices in Hunting and To Provide for a Chief Law Enforcement Officer's Certification for Certain Firearms
Silencer | Define Silencer at Dictionary.com

I suspect the application or approval process will be more specific if there was intended to be a difference. But it does seem strange that they elected to pass this. I know the night hunters will appreciate it.

They made another change earlier by eliminating the minimum age for young hunters. It used to be 10 before they could accompany an adult. Now, the decision is up to the adult at any age.

But I agree, we should require more than just a minimum paper class. Having a gun in their possession will encourage too many people to stand their ground when they should be running.

Bud

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: