Remington TAC14

Old 10-08-17, 11:49 AM
Received 17 Votes on 12 Posts
Remington TAC14

Does anyone here have or familiar with the Remington 870 TAC14? I saw one at a grocery store down in Mountain Home, AR in August and thought it was an interesting home defense weapon. Fires either 2 3/4" or 3" 12 gauge shells and has a 14" barrel. It has a pistol grip, no stock. Overall length is I believe 26 3/8". Since that time, I have thought I might like to have one more to shoot for fun than for home defense, but it would also be the ultimate in a home defense weapon. I was doing some reading on it and found it is classed neither as a shotgun or a pistol, but as a firearm.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-17, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It looks like what Tubbs used in Miami Vice doesn't it?
In the US, shotguns originally manufactured without shoulder stocks (and thus not legally shotguns), with a total length under 26 inches, are classified as an "Any Other Weapon" by the BATFE and have a $5 transfer tax, if they are manufactured by a maker possessing the appropriate Class 2 Special Occupational Taxpayer Federal Firearms License. In order to convert an existing shoulder-stocked shotgun to a short-barreled shotgun or an existing pistol-grip-only shotgun to an "Any Other Weapon", a private citizen must pay the standard $200 NFA tax.[2]
Personally, I can't imagine firing it even with reduced recoil rounds. Seems like the grip would be trying to slide back and pounding your fingers with the trigger guard?

Myself, I think my Mossburg 500 Cruiser in 20 ga makes more sense. True pistol grip, less recoil even with full loads, 2 3/4 or 3", 6 rnds in the mag, safety right on top. I keep it loaded with #4 buck. Of course Mossburgs were what I used for 24 yrs in the Navy. If you are an 870 fan you'd probably feel differently.

As to the #4, I figure if 27 pellets/shell .24" dia at 1300fps (about a typical HV .22 LR load from a rifle) doesn't do it, I'm gonna need a tank. 20 is a little harder to find, but since I don't shoot the #4 through it often, not a big deal. Oh, and the last round in the mag is a slug, that's gonna stop ANY conversation pretty quickly. I also have a sidesaddle with 6 extra rnds, so 13 on or in the gun total.

Some don't like the pistol grip on any HD shotgun and suggest a full stock with a pistol grip if desired. I sort of reached my own ideal solution. I have a single loop sling attached to the grip area. Not only can I easily carry it, when firing I can push forward against the sling for a better hold if there is room. I mean we're talking house distances here...30ft LOS or so max? If there's no room, I could easily pull it in tight with nothing sticking out behind me.

My opinions only. Completely unproven, and I hope they stay that way.

Old 10-08-17, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator
Oh, and I forgot...I love that you saw it at a GROCERY STORE! A grocery that sells guns...my ideal shopping experience almost. They'd have to sell TVs and recliners as well. Lol

Old 10-08-17, 06:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 33 Votes on 29 Posts
Gunguy - If you are ever in the northern mid-west you need to check out Fleet Farm stores. They also go by "The Man's Mall" They sell pretty much everything you might want, except food (other then snacks) and booze.

I also agree with GG, That is a SBS or short barrel shotgun which requires a bunch more permits/licenses. IMO - it is not worth the trouble when you can get a 18.5" barrel for your shotie.

Old 10-08-17, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator
Oh, we had something similar to FF in OH in the 70's, can't remember the name, but it's where I bought my first real gun, a Ruger 10/22 Carbine when I was 15 (ok, Dad bought it for me)...which I still have in the safe behind me. Of course, back then, Sears, Woolworth, Kmart, JCP, etc all sold long arms and some even sold pistols. I just started getting into guns when the GCA of 68 killed the mail order business for them.

Old 10-08-17, 10:41 PM
Super Moderator
Actually PD, we were both wrong to some extent...

THIS IS NOT AN NFA ITEM..heres why All shotguns are intended to be fired from the shoulder. All shotguns must have at least an 18-inch barrel. If the gun was manufactured with a stock and a barrel shorter than 18 inches, it is classified as a “Short Barreled Shotgun” (SBS), requiring a $200.00 transfer tax. If the shotgun has a pistol grip and is less than 26 inches in overall length, it is considered an “Any Other Weapon” (AOW). Good news: AOWs only require a $5 transfer tax. The Tac-14 is created as follows. Start with a shotgun that has NEVER had a stock attached. Add a pistol grip, and the gun is now considered a PGO (Pistol Grip Only). It is NOT a shotgun, as it is not intended to be fired from the shoulder. Next, add a 14-inch barrel so that the overall length is 26.3 inches. The length being greater than 26 inches disqualifies the gun from being an AOW. So, the BATFE declares that you now have a “Non-NFA Firearm.” The Tac-14 is not a shotgun, nor a handgun, but a firearm. It requires no special paperwork other than the 4473, and the buyer must be 21 years old. Some states may have restrictions on firearms like the Tac-14, so check your state and local laws!
So it's not an Any Other Weapon like I thought since it's over 26", but it's not a SBS because it NEVER had a stock attached. All depends on if it's from a manufacturer or your garage I guess. I can't imagine someone would buy this and then illegally attach a stock of some sort when they can just buy a used 870, cut down the stock and barrel and have the same illegal weapon.

I'd still check local and State law. And could someone from MO even buy in AR? If they aren't available in MO, there's probably a reason.

Old 10-09-17, 06:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 33 Votes on 29 Posts
Good info! Thanks Gunguy!

Old 10-09-17, 08:43 PM
Actually PD, we were both wrong to some extent...

That's right, since it is over 26" in length the NFA does not apply and there are no special transfer taxes, just the $399 purchase price. I was just interested in what someone who might own one thinks of it. There are a few pretty cool videos on U-Tube with guys firing this weapon. Yes, I could buy an AR here in MO, but I am not interested in one. That reminds me, they also had 5 or 6 AR style rifles behind the counter too.

I love that you saw it at a GROCERY STORE! A grocery that sells guns...my ideal shopping experience almost.

Yea, I also thought that was pretty cool. This is nothing like a Target or Walmart, just groceries and sporting goods which is mostly fishing tackle and guns. This is near Lake Norfork so naturally they have a large fishing tackle area. You have to remember that this is in the country in the Ozark mountains.

Old 10-09-17, 10:06 PM
Super Moderator
So AR sells to out of state Residents? I don't think even AZ does that and we have about the most liberal (that's a small l....lol) gun laws around. Maybe that's just handguns?

Ouch...$399? You could find them much cheaper online. I saw as low as $329 new, less used. I guess prices have really gone up...mine was around $275 out the door.

Old 10-10-17, 04:44 AM
Group Moderator
Received 141 Votes on 134 Posts
I assume they will sell the gun to you out of state but the gun will be shipped to your local gun shop to handle the transfer paperwork.

Old 10-10-17, 07:14 AM
Group Moderator
Received 40 Votes on 37 Posts
I would go to a range and rent something similar before buying - my experience shooting 12 gauge with a pistol grip was painful.

Old 10-15-17, 10:11 AM
So AR sells to out of state Residents?

I have no idea whether they sell to out of state residents or not. They didn't know where I was from when they showed me the gun. If I were to buy one, I wouldn't be buying it out of state when I could buy it locally near home.

I assume they will sell the gun to you out of state but the gun will be shipped to your local gun shop to handle the transfer paperwork.

I haven't bought a new gun in close to 30 years so I have no idea what kind of paperwork might be required. The last one I bought new was a shotgun and I don't recall any kind of special paperwork.