Taurus TCP380

Old 09-04-18, 08:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Taurus TCP380

@Gunguy or others

I have been wanting a small pistol to keep handy while around home & with me when out over night in the truck. Looking at the Taurus TCP380.

In the state of Louisiana, we have a "tax free" weekend every year when hunting season opens, for all hunting supplies & that includes firearms. (yeah, yeah, I know some people dont get it but, hey, this is La... a 1st cousin to Texas). So, I got a sale paper today for all the specials going on at this particular, large (locally owned) sporting goods store here locally. They have a Taurus TCP 380 for $157 while supplies last & it comes with a free $50 holster. I have done some research on this pistol tonight & it looks like its a pretty decent gun, especially for the price... and because its normally about $230 & on sale occasionally for $199, this little jewel is a real bargain at $157 + a free holster... plus, no taxes. At this point, I'm sold on it & will probably pick up one.... maybe two. One for me & one for the wife.

The thing is, "while supplies last". So, I'm going to try to be in the store when it opens Friday morning with 5000 other people I am afraid, but, I am going to give it a shot. So, lets say that they sell out before I can get my hands on one. The next option would be a SCCY CPX-3 for $246.

While at this point I am pretty much sold on the TCP & its deal, Can you provide any info one one vs the other? I couldn't really find any comparison for these two.

The next & most important question is what brand & grain ammo would you suggest for just having it around in case somebody or something (mad dog etc) gets after me, my wife or my little dogs, on my place (5 acres). Again, I'll also have it in the truck with me when I am out over night in the truck (class 8) alone, so that would be really close range.

Thanks for any input

Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-18, 09:11 PM
Group Moderator
For a six shot .380, I would advise a Ruger LCP II instead - the Taurus brand just simply isn't known for being reliable and the first (if not first and second) criteria for picking a defensive weapon is it must be reliable.

OK, now I personally wouldn't choose a .380 in the first place. While I have an LCP II, I carry it only when I absolutely cannot have anyone know I'm carrying - a concept known as "max conceal." Outside of that, I won't carry less than a 9mm and there are lots of small choices there as well. The smallest would again be a Ruger - the LC9s. But, at about the same size, the Sig Sauer P365 gives you 10 rounds over the LC9's 7 and so there you have the small gun I carry most often - the 365.

Regardless of what you end up getting, hollow point ammunition is considered the standard for defensive ammo and the Federal HST seems to get the best reviews I can find - I go for 115 or 124 grain (9mm), as the 147 grain bullets are quite a bit slower and I prefer a faster round.

Last edited by stickshift; 09-05-18 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 09-05-18, 05:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thanks a bunch Stick.

Let me just add that I have a S&W 357 mag model 586 4", that I have had since the 80's. I've never had a handgun that handles better for me & without patting myself on the back, I shoot very well with it.... very well. I had a Dan Wesson 6" prior to the S&W & literally, I couldn't hit a gallon jug at 25 ft.

So, just FYI, I have a hand gun that I use for protection & accuracy. I've never owned a .380 but I just need something I can keep on me, that wont be in my way while I am working around the property. My intent is for snakes, mad dogs, etc as well as close contact protection.
I fully understand that this small caliber hand gun is just that. I actually wanted a .22 for this but I cant find a .22 that works for me in a small inexpensive hand gun.

To comment further, I will shoot this occasionally just to stay familiar with it, but other than the occasional snake etc, I hope i never have to shoot this thing. My wife & I are big animal lovers & we enjoy deer, squirrels, rabbits, doves, bats, all of which we have on our place here & feed.... We especially love dogs, but if one attempts to attack our two little dogs, us or our widow neighbor etc......

One of my reasons for a .22 was the price of ammo. I dont shoot my .357 mag very often because of ammo price. A .380 is kinda in between & I can kinda afford to shoot this occasionally & not worry about spending a few rounds at a snake.

Just some of my thoughts. Again, all good, accurate advice & I do appreciate it, Stick.

Old 09-05-18, 10:28 AM
Group Moderator
Actually, if you look closely, I think you'll find 9mm ammo is cheaper than .380.

Old 09-05-18, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator
I'm not sure where the reliability issue with Tauri pistols came in. Maybe back in the early days when they first started importing? I've never had an issue with any of my (admittedly limited) personal experience with their pistols or heard of such issues. Of course, that's assuming the rule of 200 is followed. 200 rounds through it and the accompanying magazines before serious carry use. I do that with any of mine, no matter the maker. Mags get dinged, a burr is missed, it happens. Also at least 50 rds of what you plan to carry specifically. If you change brands, same 50 rd test.

I personally would go for the SCCY for the capacity...but I haven't even seen one up close here yet. I guess they get snapped up. CPX 1 &2's yes....at OVER retail! The only store willing to order a 3 for me wants waaaay over retail...and that just ain't gonna happen. You must be closer to a major distributor.

I'd have no issue carrying the Taurus...except...it's just kinda spacy ugly to me...but thats me.

The Honey badger load looks interesting (low recoil) but I doubt you'd go wrong with any of the defensive rounds in the 90-95gr range. The faster stuff like Corbon may be a bit excessive in a small pistol like that...but then I only have my Colt Government .380 Pocketlite model for comparison. I wouldn't use the super fast stuff since my gun is older, valuable, and has the aluminum frame. I still carry PMC Starfire which I've had squirreled away for years. Anything should work fine in a newer pistol, just need to see what you shoot best.

Here's the thing....with the advances in bullet technology...almost any caliber above .32 that has modern ammunition designed for it will perform adequately for most people. Dogs don't wear body armor (at least not in AZ), so one or 2 hits will normally drop them like a sack of potatoes. In most breeds even a miss will get their attention and send them running. People meaning harm are another matter. They are stupider than most dogs and if simply making them aware you are armed and decided doesn't make them leave, shot placement will change their mind pretty quickly.

Btw...back in the 80's, some (let's call them guys you don't mess with, back then they weren't as well known) from my ship went to the Taurus factory in Brazil (the only one at the time). Far from the dusty old building using left over machinery, building nothing but Beretta and Colt copies that they were expecting, they found a modern, clean, high tech plant. Taurus was already designing and building their own guns, just most of it hadn't made it's way north. Besides, US makers and even the European brands were relatively cheap, had name value, and were good quality guns...why try this upstart?

Well, those guys came back with a few toys for "evaluation" and were very happy with the results. The Recon Marines and a few of us Squids who liked guns got to "test" them also. As I found out later through a few friends I had made (*******s stole my mock "bomb" clock!) some of those evaluation weapons were actually employed for deniability purposes.

Shot placement, shot placement, shot placement. If you can't shoot it accurately, a freaking cannon in your hand won't do any more good than a sharp stick...probably less.

So now, let's talk about the myth that Rugers are bigger and heavier than they need to be and aren't as accurate as other brands. Or that Series 80 Colts can't have good trigger pulls. Or that Savage just makes inexpensive "starter" rifles for hunters.

Old 09-05-18, 01:46 PM
Group Moderator
Taurus revolvers have decent reputations, it's the semi-autos which do not. That does not mean they're all bad but one must test them like Vic described, IMO, to prove they are worth your trust. I simply buy guns which I think are more likely to pass such a test.

Has any thought been given to recoil? Those little pocket .380s can be unpleasant to shoot since the slight mass of the gun does little to absorb recoil.

Old 09-05-18, 03:23 PM
Group Moderator
One more I'd throw on the list to consider is a Glock 43. I don't carry Glocks because I don't like the grips but one cannot deny the reliability of the brand.

Old 09-05-18, 05:29 PM
My preferred carry is a Colt 1911, but I do have a Sig P238 .380 auto that I bought for my wife and have carried occasionally. Being so compact and light weight the P238 is more comfortable to carry, and although this particular one has been 100% reliable through 500 or so rounds, I still harbor reservations regarding the general reliability of the smaller automatics due to the number of issues I have heard of and actually seen firsthand. On the other hand, familiarity and maintenance are essential to the performance of any firearm, and, I think, particularly in semi-auto's, and this may very well have been a factor in some or even all of the cases I have seen and heard of. r some could be a simple matter of carrying them in pockets and accumulating lint. So while I like the merits of an auto, and prefer them myself, I wouldn't necessarily rule out revolvers as far as ease of maintenance and overall reliability.

Old 09-05-18, 06:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I appreciate everyone's input.

I did some online research on this last night & all the reviews seemed very good. The recoil was one of the things mentioned & does have a little kick to it.
The grip is a little short & is not as comfortable for someone with big hands. It was noted that someone with smaller hands like a woman seems to be more comfortable & the recoil doesnt seem as bad.
The front site is a bit hard to see especially after getting dusk. Some said they put a touch of white paint or other things to make it easier to see, even in day light.
Most compared its accuracy as good at 25 steps. Some said its accurate at 40 steps. Some posted pictures of their targets & were closely grouped.
Most said they were dependable, with no hang-ups after several hundred rounds.

Over all, just about everyone was happy with this pistol even at $220, saying it was surprisingly accurate & dependable for the price. Some of my research was from gun forums. I know you can get anything off the internet so, I am just trying to do all the research I can & thought I just ask yall too.

Old 09-06-18, 01:18 AM
Super Moderator
If I could, I'd send you the money to buy both the Taurus and the SCCY. I was just in a pawn shop today that has more guns for sale than any of the nearby gunshops. They order directly from the manufacturers. They haven't even seen a CPX-3, though they've had 5 on order since they were first announced almost 2 yrs ago. He said he could sell 20 in basic black sight unseen for $100 OVER list (though he wouldn't).

Good luck with your choice and safe shooting.

Old 09-06-18, 03:24 PM
Group Moderator
OK, this will be my last post on the subject and then I'm going to drop out of the discussion.

First, I have nothing against owning a Taurus handgun. What I do have against them is the history of issues in their semi-automatic handguns which makes them less than ideal choices for defensive weapons where reliability is king. You talk about using it for snakes and such, which in my mind, puts this purchase into the category of defensive use.

Additionally, unless concealment is important, and you mention nothing that makes me think it is, the .380 is considered borderline with regard to defensive capability. As I mentioned, they are also not generally fun guns to shoot because the recoil is pretty severe; much more so than people intuit before firing one. I also think your assessment of its accuracy is highly optimistic, as these guns are generally considered accurate to maybe 20-25' feet tops and I would say that's stretching it.

So, given what you've described, the only reason I can see supporting this purchase is price. That, in my mind, is not good enough reason especially when the marginal cost of ammunition is going to be higher than a 9mm. And yes, I am employed in this field.