Belt Protection from Clip-On Holster

Old 11-28-20, 05:32 PM
D
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 50 Posts
Belt Protection from Clip-On Holster

I carry a handgun & I use a slide on, over the belt, holster. I prefer this style so I can take it on & off as needed. The problem is, the clip that slides over my belt is tearing up my belt... obviously. I have searched & I cant find anything that is designed to put over, or attach to my belt so that my holster will slide over it... on my belt. I thought there might be a leather or even aluminum case/protector that would slip over my belt, then clip the holster onto, or over the protector.

Any idea's?

Old 11-28-20, 05:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 945 Votes on 863 Posts
Would some style of money clip help?

Old 11-28-20, 07:21 PM
C
Received 27 Votes on 25 Posts
Sounds like you might be using a regular belt. There are tactical belts that are made to handle the weight of a pistol and these are far more durable than a regular belt. You can also use a thick leather belt (there are custom leather goods makers who sell nice thick belts). Not only will these belts stand up to on/off holster wear, but they will spread the weight of a pistol much better than a regular belt, making it much more comfortable for the wearer.

Are you using a decent kydex or leather holster? Don't know what you have, but there are much better holsters than the low end stuff like Uncle Mike's that you see at sporting goods stores or gun shops.

Old 11-29-20, 04:17 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 914 Votes on 841 Posts
Some belts just aren't well suited to a metal clip holster. Some dress belts are too thick, especially woven leather. Then, there may be some marking on smooth leather which is almost unavoidable as you have a thin metal clip rubbing in the same spot all the time. Nylon or tactical style belts are pretty resistant to damage.

If you've just gotta stick with your current belt you can try covering the belt with a scrap of fabric or felt before you clip on the holster. Make sure you pay attention to how much extra space you have inside your holster's clip. Most don't have a lot of extra room for "padding".

Old 11-29-20, 04:29 AM
D
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 50 Posts
Ok, so a "Tactical Belt" is what I need to be looking for. Thanks, that helps. I'll research those.

I cant be certain but I think I bought a Pro Tech nylon holster. Out of several in the gun store that I looked at, I liked this one. I've had it now for about 3 weeks & I really like it, so far.

Its for a Taurus G3 9mm. Its not a top of the line but its my first semi-auto & its an everyday carry including around the property while working outside etc, as well as where ever I go. I'll carry it for a while & if I see there is something I dont like about it & if I decide to get another, I'll have a little more knowledge in everyday carry of a semi-auto's.

Old 11-29-20, 07:24 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 914 Votes on 841 Posts
I have several similar holsters including one that gets a lot of use with my Taurus Judge shotgun pistol which I wear when working around the house and in the forest. With that type holster I remove the metal belt clip as I've had them come unhooked when working. Also, the clip doesn't hold it securely enough on the belt when trying to draw from a nylon holster, especially if you forget to unhook the strap first. Flexible nylon holsters can sometimes grip the gun pretty securely and with the belt clip I even had to put one hand on the holster to keep it in place when drawing. So now I thread my belt through a loop on the holster.

Old 11-29-20, 10:02 AM
C
Received 27 Votes on 25 Posts
Also, the clip doesn't hold it securely enough on the belt when trying to draw from a nylon holster, especially if you forget to unhook the strap first. Flexible nylon holsters can sometimes grip the gun pretty securely and with the belt clip I even had to put one hand on the holster to keep it in place when drawing. So now I thread my belt through a loop on the holster.
Or ditch nylon holsters altogether. With a kydex holster, you can have the convenience of a clip, one that doesn't cut into your belt, and with lots of retention (no need for a strap - which is another step you have to remember to take when you need the pistol in an emergency); many kydex holsters will have retention screws so you can adjust retention to your liking.

More expensive than nylon for sure, but kydex is far better, especially for concealed carry inside the waistband.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: