Cold bluing?

Old 11-02-21, 04:53 PM
C
Received 270 Upvotes on 221 Posts
Cold bluing?

I have an inexpensive double barrel 12 ga that is my home defense weapon. I've never felt the need until recently when there have been several armed break ins in the last couple of month. I tried to buy a pistol but I live in a anti 2nd amendment state and the cost of permits and associated BS would exceed the cost of a pistol. I had to go out of state just to buy shotgun shells because I didn't have a $35 ammunition permit.

The shotgun has been in the basement for years and the barrel had quite a bit of surface rust. I decided to use naval jelly to remove the rust. It did a really good job except it also removed all the bluing. I'm trying to decide if I should leave the barrel bare metal or to try cold bluing.

Anyone with experience with cold bluing?

Old 11-02-21, 05:58 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 65 Upvotes on 50 Posts
Cold bluing is a PIA if you haven't done it before. If you aren't all that concerned with having a great finish and just want a rust preventive you might consider a couple of coats of quality Krylon flat black paint.

cwbuff voted this post useful.
Old 11-03-21, 08:39 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,707 Upvotes on 1,525 Posts
Check in your area to see if any community colleges have a gunsmithing school. You could have them freshen it up as a project to practice.

I have a 1903 single shot that I took to my local school. They polished out the rust, re-blued the whole thing, color case hardened the receiver, refinished the stock, gold plated the trigger... It came back looking almost new. Not bad for a gun my father found in a field in the 1950's with the end of the barrel split cartoon style.

cwbuff voted this post useful.
Old 11-02-21, 08:05 PM
C
Ron53 - I had not considered paint! I googled cold bluing and I think you are correct. More of a PITA then it's worth. Today I spray painted the barrels with Rustoleum and it looks pretty good. Thanks.

Old 11-03-21, 03:39 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,707 Upvotes on 1,525 Posts
I have some guns with cold blueing an it's not great for corrosion protection. You can paint the gun or every couple months wipe it down with a anti-rust gun cloth or lightly oiled rag but keep in mind that the internals are not protected. The best would be to not keep it in the basement where it is likely to rust. Somewhere up in the conditioned space where the humidity is lower would be better.

Old 11-03-21, 06:45 AM
C
The shotgun was in the basement for over a year after our house fire. The normally dry basement was wet from firefighting water. I simply forgot that it was there. It's now under my bed and loaded.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: