Amt 22 mag

Old 12-18-21, 08:33 AM
G
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amt 22 mag

I have a 22 mag that the shell jams every time I try to put a shell in the chamber. Bought a new clip same thing happens

Old 12-18-21, 09:22 AM
R
Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts
AMT stamped a notice inside the box lid to use only Winchester 22 mag ammo, don't know the reason for that though, but it could be because of feeding problems. Try some and see. Also those aftermarket magazines aren't the greatest, I would stick with AMT magazines if possible to find them.

Old 12-18-21, 09:34 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,702 Likes on 1,521 Posts
How specifically is it jamming? Is the cartridge getting caught on the feed ramp & pinched by the slide? Is it failing to extract? How are you cycling the slide when it jams?

Old 12-19-21, 09:23 AM
G
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it is getting pinched when i try to load a shell in the chamber. can't get one in the chamber to eject it.it actually gets dented

Old 12-20-21, 07:38 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,702 Likes on 1,521 Posts
So you are having a feeding problem. If you are feeding damaged cartridges into the chamber I wouldn't worry about the failure to extract problem at this point since you didn't mention that it's having trouble with good cartridges.

Is the jamming happening when you first load it or during firing? Some guns need the slide to slam close fast and hard. If you let the slide close a bit slowly it can cause jamming as can limp wristing during firing as that can also slow the speed of the slide.

Failure to feed is very often a magazine problem. Minor differences like the height of the magazine or shape of the feed lips have an affect. It's one area where some experience helps. I would have a gunsmith look at it.

The cartridge can also have a big impact. Some brand/loadings have minute differences. One loading might be a bit shorter or have a pointier nose and feed well while another brand cartridge may tend to jam. If your feed ramp is not mirror smooth then buffing it might help.

Old 12-20-21, 11:46 AM
H
Received 275 Likes on 235 Posts
This is apparently a common issue?

Originally Posted by YouTubeComments
You'll find they are picky on ammo as they have a unique delayed blowback design. Winchester seems to be the most reliable (40 & 45 grain) as that was the round they were designed for...lighter rounds seem to have more issues, at least with the two I have owned.
https://youtu.be/0H6Dv3BlBkw

Old 12-20-21, 03:17 PM
R
Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts
"Winchester seems to be the most reliable (40 & 45 grain) as that was the round they were designed for..."

That's why I pointed out that the factory box states to use Winchester 22 mag ammo for proper operation. That's all I have used in mine and I have had no feeding or ejection issues in all the years I have owned it. I might point out that I bought it new so there is/was no chance someone buggered it up which might be the case here maybe.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: