Semi-Automatic Shotgun

Old 01-16-22, 11:38 AM
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Semi-Automatic Shotgun

Before I get to my question, it seems like there is a shortage for the supply of firearms. I have been waiting for a Ruger and a Shotgun for 6 months. The last firearm that I bought was about 7 years ago and it was not like this. Crazy times.

Anyway, I have the Ruger GP 100 and SP 101. I am planning to upgrade to the Ruger RedHawk. If you have the Ruger RedHawk in 357, can you share your thoughts on it? I was going to get the SW TR but decided to stick with Ruger.

To the main question, if you own a semi-automatic shotgun, can you share your thoughts on the brand and the PROs and CONs? I already have a pump-action but I am looking for a semi-auto shotgun that can hold 9-10 rounds for home defense.

Last edited by WRDIY; 01-16-22 at 12:55 PM.
Old 01-16-22, 08:42 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,182 Likes on 1,140 Posts
I bought one about five years ago and wanted semi-auto to lower the recoil. At the time, it seemed the best value was Beretta and I bought the A 3000. The A 3500 holds 3 1/2" shells if you need more than 3" capacity. I have not researched anything since but have been happy with the purchase.

The following users liked this post:
Old 01-17-22, 06:57 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,702 Likes on 1,521 Posts
The desire to hold 9-10 cartridges really limits your choices to something with a box magazine or a space rifle (Kel-Tec KSG). Unfortunately many guns of that style are plagued with reliability issues. They can work but tend to be much more fussy about what ammo works. Compare with many of the traditional style hunting shotguns that can eat almost any type of ammo without trouble.

Old 01-17-22, 11:50 AM
A
Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts
would also suggest sticking with a traditional shotgun for reliability but capacity will likely be lower like 5 +1 - 7+1 range but you have a lot more options to choose from.
the rest likely will come down to your budget on what you buy.

Old 01-17-22, 10:51 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,182 Likes on 1,140 Posts
Sorry, must have missed the 9-10 round spec first time through. I know of no such gun meeting all of your requirements nor am I a fan of something with so long a barrel for home defense as moving around corners and other objects becomes difficult.

The following users liked this post:
Old 01-18-22, 05:00 AM
D
Group Moderator
Received 181 Likes on 146 Posts
I have to agree with Stickshift. I seen the post earlier but I didn't comment because I had nothing to add for that gun & situation. It wasn't what I would consider a home defense gun & I'm not sure if such gun exists or is even legal. So, just because it isn't my idea of a home defense gun doesn't mean its a bad idea for the OP if thats what he wants. In the end, based on specs, I had nothing to offer. However, since some others have given advise in line with mine, I thought I'd add my comments.

I'd get a lower priced gun (not really cheap... lower priced) semi-auto with an 18 1/4" barrel & use 2 3/4" magnum shells in a 4 or 5 round magazine & #1 buckshot for in home defense. But that's just me. The OP is certainly entitled to his opinions. So I wont dispute his idea's but I don't think his specs exists or is very practical... and I'm not sure that something capable of 9 or 10 round mag is legal in most state... possibly any state. I don't know that, just my opinion.

Old 01-18-22, 06:34 AM
C
Received 267 Likes on 219 Posts
I might be wrong but I think the pump Mossberg 590 has a 8+1 capacity. If it were me I would opt for the reliability of a pump shotgun over a semi auto. There is a reason that the military carry pumps instead of semi autos.

You can buy an extended mag for the Mossberg 500 making it 7+1. Both are first rate self defense weapons.

Old 01-18-22, 08:45 AM
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Hi, the reason why I am looking for a semi-auto shotgun with 9-10 rounds is because I have a ballistic shield (cover half of body) next to my bed. It weighs 25 pounds, same one on Demolition Ranch.

My pump action (even with pistol grip) still requires two hands which means I will not be able to carry my shield. That explains the need for the "Semi-Auto" part. As for the 9-10 rounds, ahhh might as well.

But on a serious note, when I had a false security alarm two years ago, I used my shield and my semi-auto pistol first, while feeding information back to my security alarm monitoring company.

The semi-auto shotgun would be a nice to have for last defense but I doubt if I would use it before my semi-auto pistols or revolvers..

Anyway, I researched and comprised this list 6 months ago but did not list on the original post because I wanted to get user experience and feedback first which I got. Thanks

Most of these have magazines to avoid having a long barrel.

Top Pick
Kalashnikov KS-12T Shotgun
Tavor TS-12
MOLOT Vepr 12
Stoeger Industries 3000 M3K?

Bottom Pick
Remington Versa Max Competition Tactical
Fostech Origin 12 (California NonCompliant)
Mossberg 930

Last edited by WRDIY; 01-18-22 at 09:08 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: