La Just Passed Conceal Carry

Old 02-29-24, 04:38 AM
D
Group Moderator
Received 258 Upvotes on 206 Posts
La Just Passed Conceal Carry

https://www.wdsu.com/article/louisia...ernor/60009902
For those of you who keep up with this, Louisiana just passed a conceal carry for anyone over 18 without a licence or training. Of course felons etc can't own a gun so they obviously cant carry etc.

I don't really approve of no training but, I also understand that the US constitution gives us the right as US citizens & I understand that Louisiana is just trying to ensure that.
Personally, I have my concealed carry training & certification.
This just passed the La house & senate yesterday & is on the way to the new Governor's desk for his signature.
It will be effective ASAP, I'm sure.

EDIT: We have had conceal carry for many years but required training & certification & you had to be over 21.

Top Answer

02-29-24, 07:02 AM
marksr
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 840 Upvotes on 737 Posts
Ya, every week I read in the paper where a felon is charged with possession of a firearm.
Dixie, the 2 things that would worry me about that law is lack of training and allowing 18 yr olds to carry. Nothing against young folks and while many are very responsible at that age, no small number are not.

Old 02-29-24, 06:29 AM
B
Received 302 Upvotes on 267 Posts
I doubt felons care about the law so not being able to own a gun is not a deterrent to carrying a gun.

Wayne Mitchell voted this post useful.
Old 02-29-24, 07:02 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 840 Upvotes on 737 Posts
Ya, every week I read in the paper where a felon is charged with possession of a firearm.
Dixie, the 2 things that would worry me about that law is lack of training and allowing 18 yr olds to carry. Nothing against young folks and while many are very responsible at that age, no small number are not.

Dixie2012, the_tow_guy voted this post useful.
Old 02-29-24, 10:10 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,267 Upvotes on 1,207 Posts
You are on the verge now of what is known as Constitutional Carry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitutional_carry

Old 02-29-24, 10:45 AM
H
Received 297 Upvotes on 255 Posts
We seem something similar every couple of years as each new Mayor takes office in Philly PA, because Philly requires it's own permit for concealed carry, and for open carry, and to transport a firearm in a motor vehicle.

Since I-95 goes through Philly, every couple years there's a lawsuit over Philly passing laws that contracict PA laws and PA constitution.

Old 02-29-24, 10:53 AM
T
Received 110 Upvotes on 98 Posts
You are on the verge now of what is known as Constitutional Carry.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitutional_carry
There is no such thing as a constitutional unrestricted right to carry a weapon, whether a gun or anything else, such a knife. If anyone doubts it, try carrying a machine gun into a police station. All states have (mostly reasonable) gun restrictions in varying degrees and that's how it's likely to remain. BTW, that's no different from any other right.

Last edited by Tony P.; 02-29-24 at 11:23 AM.
Old 02-29-24, 02:18 PM
D
Group Moderator
Received 258 Upvotes on 206 Posts
Yeah Mark, that's my concern too. I am pro 2nd amendment for La, but everyone needs some training and yeah, I agree, 18 year old is too young generally speaking. I have 2 grandsons.... that's the comment I made to my wife last night... I'd hate to know either of them would consider carrying a firearm on his person. One is 17 & one 18... 15 months apart. (my 11 year old grandson has more common sense than both of them combined... I kid you not. However, I have to admit, the 11 year old is decently smart with common sense. That still don't say much for the two teenagers)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: