tile on brick

Old 10-23-02, 04:15 PM
budeyone
Visiting Guest
Placing tile on brick on fireplace

I want to tile my small brick area on my fireplace. Do i only need to use thinset on the area, then place the tile on it?.
I would appreciate what procedure i should follow.

Note: To prevent the tile from falling off, i would build a support across the bottom (forgot what this is called) and down using wood. Does this sound like the correct procedure to follow.

Thank you for your assistance.

Old 10-23-02, 06:04 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
budeyone,

Depending on your current brick on the fireplace, you may want to attach a cement board (Durock or Hardibacker) to the face and edge. This can be done with by using concrete screws which would be used to attach your cement board to the brick face. Since this a non-combustible material, you can then apply thin-set to the board, tile and grout. This makes for an excellent backer, straight and SAFE.

We do have codes about combustibles - No combustible (this means wood, drywall), can be within 2" of an masonry surface regarding fireplaces and flues.

I am unsure about what you mentioned about a board at the bottom so the tile doesn't fall off?

Hope this helps!

Old 10-24-02, 06:14 PM
budeyone
Visiting Guest
Thanx for your quick response.

The frame i was referring to would keep the tile from falling. I remember the tile guy who did my kitchen and downstairs floors telling me. He did call this by a name (?).
Does this sound like something i would need, or will the tile stay in place on its own?.

Question: Would i secure the cement screws into the mortar or can it be driven directly into the brick itself.

Thanx again for your assistance.

Old 10-24-02, 06:35 PM
budeyone,

I still am unsure about what you are referring to, possible a chair-rail frame but this is not necessary. The thin-set or use of mastic will keep the tile on the vertical - no need for any addition material. The attachment of the durock should be done within a motar joint - you will be pre-drilling a pilot hole to do this.

I have attached a link to assist in how to do the tiling;

http://www.cgcinc.com/cgcdiy/DIYCB/welcome.htm

Hope this helps!

Old 10-26-02, 08:11 AM
budeyone
Visiting Guest
Thank you very much for your time and assistance. I will check out the web site you supplied...

Old 10-26-02, 08:15 AM
budeyone,

No problem and you are very welcome. If you need any more help just let us know, I hope you find the link helpful.

Good Luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: