Gas Fireplace Fumes/Smell

Old 11-05-02, 12:23 PM
MFairfax
Visiting Guest
Gas Fireplace Fumes/Smell

I just bought a house that has a fairly new ventless gas fireplace. It is connected to a propane tank and when I light it it starts to smell BAD, like a chemical smell that burns the eyes and is hard to breath and it sets off my smoke detectors (I'm not sure if they are carbon minoxide detectors as well) The logs that are in the fireplace look like real logs but are styrofoamish feeling, I've tried moving them around and the groves that are for the real wood look smush...what the problem? Should I have a technicial come in and check this out or do I have the wrong kind of logs int he fireplace and that's what is causing the smell, it's really strong and goes thru the whole house. Any suggestions would be great!

Old 11-06-02, 04:19 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Vent free gas fireplace

There is much info about the problems and dangers of vent-free gas products. The following complaint might be of interest to you. There are others if you go to the website.

13: Vent-free manufacturer gets 100 complaints per day
Date: Saturday, December 15, 2001

I'm so glad I came across your web site. I purchased a propane vent free gas log set during 2000. I have been unable to use it because of the smell. I've made various attempts to correct the problem, I let it burn off, I followed the manufactures recommendation and burned it on high for eight hours, I opened the windows, I've done everything to get rid of the exhaust/K-0 smell. Nothing works. I've had the propane company check the recommended flow rate/Pressure rate, in fact I had two companies do it. No one has offered to replace the log set, the seller told me to contact the manufacture, the manufacture hung up on me when they couldn't answer my questions. The vent free set burns our eyes, makes us dizzy and effects our throats and noses. No one will tell you this, everyone I talk to tells me my set is unusual, normally they can't smell a thing. When I called the manufacturer I heard another operator telling the caller he gets a hundred complaints a day. I couldn't tell what the complaint was, but I'll bet it's the smell. I was told by the manufacturer, get rid of the candles, don't buy new carpet, don't use spray cleaner, don't paint, on and on.......Believe me, I will not operate my vent free system. I will, when I can afford it, purchase a vented unit.....And I didn't tell you about the moisture, film on the windows and the complaints from visitors.....So I'm stuck with a lemon, but others beware, I have nothing to gain by telling you the truth about vent free gas logs. Be smart, you just can't breath the fumes.......Thanks for allowing me to address this issue. I wish I had found your site before my purchase. And to think I was going to invest in another vent free system thinking my first set was not operating properly. Thank God for the internet and The Chimney Sweep.
Gary Gingrich

Letters From Vent-Free Gas Fireplace Owners. The Chimney Sweep Online Fireplace, Woodstove, Gas Stove and Barbecue Shop. Retrieved 04 November 2002. http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/hovflett.htm

DISCONTINUE USE OF YOUR VENT FREE GAS LOGS IMMEDIATELY!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: