fireplace surround

Old 12-23-02, 06:56 PM
susan Lindner
Visiting Guest
fireplace surround

I have a brick fireplace that i would like to cover with decorative wood and moulding. i need to know how and what to cover the brick with in order to secure the decorative moulding. thanks.

Old 12-23-02, 07:52 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
susan Lindner,

If you are intending on applying wood mouldings and the like to your fireplace then I will suggest the following;

SAFETY FIRST: ALL COMBUSTIBLES MUST HAVE 6" CLEARANCE TO EACH SIDE OF THE FIREBOX OPENING AND 12" TO 14" MINIMUM ABOVE THE FIREBOX DEPENDING ON PROJECTION OF A MANTEL.

So with this in mind, consider your options before proceding.

FIrst install 1x4 pine boards to the face of the fireplace or if needed, 2x4 boards, depending on what you are using for mouldings. (Also the 2x stock will be better for applying a cement board backer to protect the wood as per code) Plan this procedure out first before doing anything. If you have the mouldings, I would opt for the 2x stock then apply Durock then your mouldings. Use Tap Con concrete screws. You'll have to drill a hole through your boards, then use a masonry bit for the screws. These don't required anchors - hex head - secure to brick by making screws flush with face of wood. You'll be creating a frame in which to apply your mouldings, etc.

If needed, apply 2x6's - creating a frame to then apply durock to the frame. use drywall screws for applying the Durock. Then apply your mouldings as you planned with some thoughts given to the clearances required.

As mentioned, no combustibles shall be within 6" of the firebox opening on the sides - you may want to consider a non-combustible border of marble tiles to enhance the appearance. The 2x stock makes it easier for applying tiles to the 2x stock edge around the interior of the frame to meet code and ensure safety.

Hope this helps and have a Merry Xmas!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: