Pergo in front of the fireplace.

Old 03-04-03, 05:08 PM
J
Jesterbob
Visiting Guest
Question Pergo in front of the fireplace.

Instead of installing the standard marble, tile, stone, brick, or rock in front of my wood burning fireplace. I would like to have a hardwood floor such as PERGO I have read in places that PERGO is resistant to heat, and nothing in my local building codes specifies exactly if it can or can't be used. THE CODE STATES: The hearth extension shall be of noncombustible material a minimum of three-eighths inch (3/8") thick, shall extend a minimum of sixteen inches (16") in front and eight inches (8") beyond each side of the fireplace/fireplace-stove opening. I have seen pictures of hardwood floors that go right up to fireplaces. Does anyone know if PERGO or some other type of Hardwood style flooring that could be used.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-03, 05:41 PM
M
Macey
Visiting Guest
The fact that Pergo is "heat resistant" does not mean it is "non combustible". As you stated, there is a hearth extension requirement. In addtion there is a thermal R value or K factor required for a the non combustible materai to be used. If a factory built fireplace (zero clearance), these values can be found in the installation manual. If you are building site built masonry fireplace, the local building codes will have this information.

I would contact Pergo to find out if they can meet the non combustible and thermal factor test. If they do approve, get a letter from them stating so. Quite sure the local building officals will require such a letter for such an unusual request.