Smoke Smell

Old 03-20-03, 06:14 PM
robb223
Visiting Guest
Smoke Smell

We have just recently changed from gas to wood burning and had a whole new insert put in includeing new chimney and flue piping. However everytime we start a fire after about 10 minutes the whole room smells of smoke. There is no visible smoke just the smell of smoke and burn wood. What is this from. How can I check the air flow in the room and are their standards that should be followed to calculate if room is right for wood burning and if so how big of a fireplace. Thanks, any help would be appriciated.

Old 03-20-03, 06:25 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What you need to check is do you have the proper size flue for you fire box, is it the proper height above your roof. also is your firewood seasoned, if its not dried out sometimes it doesn't burn hot enough to draft correctly.

Old 03-21-03, 05:30 AM
robb223
Visiting Guest
who do I call.

Can I just call a fireplace company to come out and check it? Because is this the flue that came with the firebox. I have also found a couple of slight leaks in the flue in my attic. They are very small could these play a part in this?

Old 03-21-03, 07:23 AM
Was the fireplace profesionly installed, try to get them back or ask at the store you bought it from. in the meantime check to make sure your damper is fully open and there is no obstruction in the flue.

Old 03-21-03, 09:24 PM
robb223,

Take a look at this...

http://www.chimneys.com/burnsec/chap...blesFireplaces

Hope this helps but get the installer back for reinspection and proper evaluation.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: