Render Fireplace

Old 10-23-03, 01:22 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Question Render Fireplace


We want to put a wood burning stove in our existing fireplace. We have recently taken out the gas fire and expanded the fireplace to the correct size. What product can we use to plaster/render the brickwork within the fireplace that would be heat resistant and not crack, etc. Can we paint the render and what sort of paint can be used.

Any advice would be really appreciated!

Old 10-25-03, 07:16 PM
Doug Aleshire's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: United States
Posts: 4,455
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

What you are suppose to have is a Permit to do this type of work. This is usally permitted only by a Licensed Fireplace Installer. I will not recommend anything here which may be considered hazardous to you and yours. Seek professional advice and get an on-site review before proceding further.

Good Luck!
Old 10-27-03, 08:31 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

Hi Doug

Thanks for your reply. It may be different in England. We have had the gas capped off by a professional and had the chimney swept properly. Other than that we do no need a permit here, although I will check before we go ahead.

Thanks for your advice.

Old 11-08-03, 07:22 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Wood Stove in fireplace

Hopefully you have some dealers around you, go out and look at Wood Stove inserts, if you fireplace is in good shape, you don't need to paint it, the inserts slide in and have a stainless pipe that goes up your exixting chimney. Take a look at

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title: