Whackerjawed firebox

Old 11-04-03, 05:09 PM
FrankenPengie
Visiting Guest
Whackerjawed firebox

Our townhome's fireplace came with a brick fascia/mantle that went from hearth to ceiling. Some time back we pulled the brick to reveal the underlying wall that had been textured and painted before the brick was put up. This left a hole with a fireplace box. We black felted an insulation panel and I built a frame and we just covered the hole and it looked fine but we're doing some upgrading in anticipation of selling the place. Getting a working fireplace again would be nice.

Back to the hole in the drywall with a firebox that ain't quite right. It's a 36' fireplace and the left hand side is flush with the face of the wall but the right side is 1 1/8" back. Between the drywall and the firebox is a gap that allows a clear view of the spacious insides of a wooden chimney.

What we're wanting to do is rip out the hearth, get some flooring in the living room all the way up to the wall under the fireplace(currently there is no wall between the hearth and the firebox), trim out the fireplace with the same porceline tiling we're putting in the hallway and either leave the box open or if need be put in some trim and doors. We'd really like to put in an electric insert but if we can dress this up as-is a drop-in electric fire would be more within our budget.

So...we have a whackerjawed firebox. I've tried to move it and it don't budge. Considering we're looking into an electric drop-in and are considering future resale value we'd like to leave it available as wood-burning. I've looked at pics all over the place and am trying to figure a way to dress it up so it doesn't look screwy. I know fireplace door/trim kits usually attach to the firebox. I'm puzzled. Any thoughts are most apprecialted.

Sorry if I seem to ramble but I hate helping someone who draws a vague picture of a weird problem.

Old 11-06-03, 08:03 PM
rroadman
Visiting Guest
Whackerjawed firebox

FrankenPengie, Your situation is kinda hard to imagine without seeing it?? Was it ok before you took the brick down? What filled that gap before? Could you tell it was uneven? You have to be carefull trying to move the firebox because you could damage the pipe connections. If I picture it right, the firebox was install wrong in the first place, OR The sheet rockers really messed up. Have you had a contractor or home improvement company look at it yet? Get some estimates and some ideas as to how they could fix it. It is really tough trying to answer your question and not see the problem. It may be easier to fix the wall then move the firebox. You should be able to fill the space with sheet rock and High Temp silicone and tile over it BUT that doesn't solve the Whackerjawed firebox! Let me think?????? Will be back with you.

Old 11-06-03, 08:56 PM
FrankenPengie
Visiting Guest
I thought the subject was posted

Whoa this board is different and very unintuitive! ...at least for me.

Well I posted a pic of it but I guess it doesn't show.

Before the brick came down it looked ok but butt-ugly. There *was* a two layer brick hearth then from there up to the ceiling was just brick over a pre-textured wall. Around the firebox hole where bricks laid post-out(for lack of a better term). These framed the sides of the firebox and then created a semicircular arch over the top.

I wasn't the one to take the wall down so I don't know how well the post-out bricks framed the firebox. I do know it was quite functional because I built a fire or two.

Anyways...the hearth is gone and nothing but concrete slab lays afront of it. The firebox is flush with the face of the drywall on the left-hand side. On the right it's set 1 1/8" back. A carefull look shows it to be junky work as is most of the place(I'll give you $1,000 to find a square corner).

It looks as though there's wood frame pretty much straight along the wall above the firebox hole. The firebox looks to be attached to the frame unevenly. We have a wood chimney and it seems fairly apparent there's little or no insulation inside the chimney to the living room wall. The only way to access the area would be to detatch and lift the entire chimney or maybe rip up a side.

Since my last post I've decided the possibility of using it as a future wood-burner would be plain passe in this neck of the woods especially. Burning wood is just too expensive here and the next buyers wouldn't consider that a real plus.

So...If I were to get an electric insert any thoughts on how to mount it under such curcumstances? I'm unsure of mounting procedures for these things and getting one with one of those ugly stick0out mantle thingies just don't seem right.

Have digital camera...will send anythin' as needed.

Crappy town-homes... Ya can't live with 'em but ya gotta live in 'em, at least once.

Old 11-07-03, 06:51 AM
FrankenPengie
Visiting Guest
Ooops!

I said the slab is in front of it. The box is actually sitting on a section of the slab.

Old 11-14-03, 03:20 PM
jeffy
Visiting Guest
send me a pic meantome@sympatico.ca

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: