Tiles Over Painted Fireplace (not entirely brick)?

Old 11-07-03, 12:19 PM
tsinbad
Visiting Guest
Tiles Over Painted Fireplace (not entirely brick)?

Our fireplace is mostly brick but the "face" appears to be made up of stone which is not flat. At some point (I believe 2 owners ago), the stone face was painted blue. The previous owner attempted to remove the paint using various products (they left them in the basement). The last attempt to remove the paint appears to be a product called "Peel Away" which seems to have not been successful as it appears a large part of the product including the "Peel Away paper" is still found on the fireplace. The hearth? (the floor in front of the fireplace) looks like it used to be raised and a previous owner had it removed and put some sort of large tiles down instead.

At this point, I would like to tile over the fireplace and install a mantle but am unsure as to what sort of surface prep I can/should do.

In addition, I would like to (if possible) "take up" the hearth and use the same material that I would use to tile the fireplace. How do I remove the existing large tiles?

I'm aiming to use the following article as a point of reference for my project.
http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/know...8067-1,00.html

I also have photos of my fireplace available for those kind souls in this forum that may have some advice for me.
http://www.chinfamily.com/fireplace

Old 11-07-03, 02:49 PM
rroadman
Visiting Guest
Tiles Over Painted Fireplace

Are you just going to tile part of the ugly brick? The link you have to this old house pretty much tells you what you need to do, if you want the brick cleaner than it is before you use your thin set you are probably going to have a mess, the old brick is porus and has absorbed the paint, sand blasting would be a thought but a real mess, muratic acid may work but that too is going to be a mess, you will need to get it rinsed. You might just scrub it good with a wire brush and try applying the thinset and tiles, they are not heavy and if you are going to do the mantle like in This Old House you won't be putting up that much tile. As far as the tiles on the floor, break them out or if it were me, I would leave them and build your hearth over it.

Old 11-07-03, 06:53 PM
tsinbad
Visiting Guest
Well, my main concern is whether or not I need to do something to the brick before I use the thin set (like remove the paint or use some special type of thin set or mortar). I guess I'm just concerned about it holding the tile well enough.

If I do decide to break up the floor tile, what tools do I use? Some sort of hammer & chisel? I always see all these articles and posts about building & fixing things but very little about demolishing things.

Thanks.

Old 11-08-03, 06:57 AM
rroadman
Visiting Guest
The Brick?

I don't think you need to get the brick totally clean, like I said, the brick has absorbed the paint. Get off any thing that is loose, vacuum the brick and maybe blow it off with some air if possible, use regular thin set and do just what THIS OLD HOUSE told you to do, depending on what you choose to put on it, there are lots of tiles that are pretty light wieght. The tile on the floor, you can break it, chisel it, what ever it takes to get it up! How smooth do you want it to be when it is gone? You may be in for a job if you want it smooth. If you are going to put the same tiles on the floor as the fireplace, it will have to be fairly smooth, if you are going to raise the hearth again, don't worry about it, I would build around it.... Other than that, seek out a pro in brick restoration.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: