How do I light the fireplace?


  #1  
Old 11-11-03, 11:28 AM
K
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 114
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How do I light the fireplace?

I know this sounds silly but...

I moved into a 30 yr home that has a fireplace and this is my first home. I want to light the fireplace. It is gas, I can see the "key" to turn it to the right to allow gas flow. Here's what I'm thinking I should do...

1) Check to make sure the flue (spelled wrong maybe) is open.
2) Place 2-3 logs in fireplace ????????
3) Turn on gas
4) Throw a match in ??

Please advise...

Thanks.
 
  #2  
Old 11-11-03, 12:15 PM
Doug Aleshire's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: United States
Posts: 4,455
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
KevinTheRookie,

First things first,

If your fireplace is a prefabricated metal fireplace designed only to
burn gas, then converting it to wood is EXTREMELY DANGEROUS. The firebox and
chimney system used on gas fireplaces is very different; these systems can't
withstand the temperatures produced by wood burning. The vent system is quite
different - gas exhausts consist mainly of moisture and fumes, where burning
wood produces flammable and corrosive residues and much higher temperatures
that the gas vent cannot withstand.

Burning wood in a fireplace and vent system designed only for gas will result
in a house fire and/or an explosion. Don't burn wood in this fireplace again
until you can determine with absolute certainty that it is a wood burning
fireplace and chimney system!

If you are unsure as to this being orginally a wood fireplace and someone converted it to gas, with a gas log set in it and removed it then I would recommend a professional to look at the unit and determine that all safety issues are addressed before using it. Safety First!

Hope this helps!
 
  #3  
Old 11-11-03, 04:15 PM
jeffy
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
sounds to me like you have a woodburning fireplace, with a gas starter. just a bar going across the floor of the firebox with a series of holes along it. this is to start it, once the fire is burning you turn off the gas, which is usually a key in the floor off to one side of the mantel away from the opening. sounds to me like you should get a pro in to tell you what you have, and he can show you how to lite a fire, if this is the case. also a chiney sweep is a good idea to make sure your flue is clear and clean.a good idea when moving into a house with a used fireplace.
 
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: