Chimney repair

Old 11-14-03, 06:43 PM
fireweedfour
Visiting Guest
Chimney repair

I have a chimney that runs from the fireplace in the basement, outside against the house and up through the soffit onto the roof.

The portion above the roof has corroded and should be replaced. I was wondering if this would be a easy repair for my self.

What should I look for to replace this section of chimney? Do they twist apart? Cost etc.

We are living in central Alberta where the temp dips below -20C regularly throughout the winter.

Thanks for any and all input.

Rob

Old 11-18-03, 08:31 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Rob,

Depending on what you have and if you are capable, you could do this yourself. It may be wise to seek a professional to take care of this. Estimating cost would be difficult but get some bids first and go from there.

Good Luck!

Old 12-03-03, 08:47 AM
fireweedfour
Visiting Guest
Chimney

Thanks Doug;

I have crawled up top and taken a look at the chimney. It is a 7"ID insulated chimeny. I have been quoted $98CDN for each section.

This is a gas assit fireplace that we are considering using mostly for wood burning. I have taken a look down the chimney with a trouble light and I have not been able to see any distortion of the liner on the inside.

We are considering putting in an airtight fireplace in place of the present open fireplace. The chimney is a Selkirk Metalbestos at 7"ID and 91/4 OD. I'm concerned that this type of chimeny may not be approved for an airtight. Understanding that "local" building codes require patricular procedures I was wondering if this chimney would still be useable for an airtight.

Any and all input always greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Rob

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: