Closing the flue during fire in a wood burning stove?

Old 12-01-03, 06:15 PM
Pdog
Visiting Guest
Closing the flue during fire in a wood burning stove?

OK, please go easy on me as this is my first house and have never used a wood burning stove before. I recently bought a home that has a wood burning stove insert inside the fireplace. The guy I bought the house told me that when I start the fire I should have the air vents on the doors open and have the flue fully open. Once the fire gets going, close the door (leaving the air vents in the doors open) and shut the flue all the way down so it is just barely open to allow most of the heat to come inside the house. Is this true? It seems like my fires start going pretty quickly and then die down suddenly (after say 20 mins.) Is closing the flue preventing the air movement thru the stove to keep the fire burning?

Thanks.

Old 12-02-03, 08:13 AM
slider
Visiting Guest
Yeah, you're probably closing the damper down too far and starving your fire. Try opening it a bit more and see if you can find the happy compromise.

Old 12-02-03, 09:28 AM
Pdog
Visiting Guest
Thanks, I will try it tonight

Old 12-02-03, 11:49 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Lightbulb damper

Like Slider said you have to find a happy in between the damper and draft in the door. There is also whats called a check draft that you can put on the smoke pipe between the smoke pipe damper and the flue. This is where the first tstat come in.If it called for heat it would open up the draft door and close the check damper. When it was warm it would close the the draft door and open up the check draft on the smoke pipe.The damper was just set for like how hard the wind was blowing out side. to cut down on the draft to the stove. ED

Old 12-02-03, 04:15 PM
Pdog
Visiting Guest
Well, I just tried again using some crumpled paper to get her going and a small starter log (looks like a little brick) and the fire got going. I let her warm up for 5-10 mins and threw a couple of logs on. It took pretty good, then slowly died down after about 25 mins (with the flue 1/2 way and the vents open, doors closed). The wood has been in my basement since last winter. I have been using a dehumidifier downstairs since Summer since it is so moist down there. I wonder if that is why the wood doesn't seem to take too well?

Old 12-02-03, 05:05 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Open the flue all the way control the draft there on the doors. Crack open a window and see if that dont make the flame jump ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: