New Home Drafty Gas Fireplace

Old 12-08-03, 04:52 PM
thoom
Visiting Guest
Angry New Home Drafty Gas Fireplace

Hi all,

We have a new house with a gas fireplace. The unit is flush with the family room wall so it actually has a small built-out to accomodate the fireplace.

The ceramic tiles in front of the unit are ice cold and there seems to be a draft down near the controls.

Is this normal? Should it not be sealed and only the enclosed burner area be vented to the outside. I could understand if the glass was cold, but not the draft.

Please advise.

Old 12-09-03, 06:09 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Question fireplace

Is the underside and walls of this stand out have any insulation in them???? ED

Old 12-10-03, 05:32 PM
thoom
Visiting Guest
i have no idea. I assume they do, as the rest of the house is good. Should I have that checked?

Old 12-11-03, 07:49 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello; thoom

The condition may not be a problem at all. The reason may be to provide air around the fireplace, for combustion when the fireplace is in usage etc.

Before any attempt is made to correct a suspected or non existent problem, check with your local building and safety office, the builder, a fireplace installation contractor, etc.

The fact that the house is "new construction" may indicate it was built to present and existing building codes which apply. May indicates present year '03 or within the last 5 yrs or so.

Before changes are made adding insulation etc, check with those whom know if the condition is designed into the plan etc. making any changes may cause unknown and or unforeseen future problems.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: