Metal chimney liner

Old 12-10-03, 12:18 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Metal chimney liner

We have a Lopi wood-burning insert that has always been hard to start a fire in and has never burned as hot as we had hoped. Years ago a chimney sweep installed a pivoting directional chimney cap that also added a little height to our one-story brick chimney (house built in 1963), and we thought that improved the draw a little, but not much. Recently when we try to start a fire, smoke flows into the room around the edges of the glass door. Our chimney sweep says that installing a stainless steel chimney liner, which will attach directly to the insert, will solve all the problems and that the stove will burn much more efficiently. I can find all sorts of advertisements for these liners, but no unbiased information, and I don't want to spend more than a thousand dollars and find that the stove still doesn't work well. Anyone have experience with these steel liners?

I'd appreciate any advice; thanks for your time.

Old 12-11-03, 06:45 PM
jeffy
Visiting Guest
no liner?

suprising the insert doesn't have a liner. yes it would help. worth the money. have it insulated.

Old 12-15-03, 02:02 PM
J
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Because of your advice we will have the liner installed. You suggest we have it insulated - do they insulate around the liner (between the steel liner and the brick chimney?). No one menioned that.

Thanks again.

Johanna

Old 12-16-03, 05:17 PM
jeffy
Visiting Guest
insulation

depending on the type of liner you are having installed. the manufacturer should specify what type of insulation is to be used. since this for a wood burning insert it is not imperitive that the liner be insulated, it should produce enough heat for proper draft. the insulation will only make it more efficient and it will need to be cleaned less. (if you burn alot of fires you should clean it at least once a year anyway).
the insulation comes in different forms it can be a ceramic fibre blanket glued and wired to the liner and lowerd in piece by piece, or a loss fill vermiculite type that is poured in after the liner has been installed and has been sealed at the bottom. the loss fill also holds the liner in place securely.
GOOD LUCK

Old 12-17-03, 12:24 PM
J
Smile Many thanks

I like the vermiculite option - it makes it all seem so solid. I presume once the steel liner is installed the insert will no longer need to be pulled out during cleaning. That's a good thing.

Your advice has been extremely helpful. Thanks for your time.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: