Installing a Wood Stove

Old 12-21-03, 08:45 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Installing a Wood Stove

The house we just bought has a single fireplace, but a huge chimney with four flues. One is for the fireplace, one is for the oil furnace, and the other two aren't connected to anything. These two also do not have a thimble. The flue size on them is 6 inches square. The chimney is block, faced with stone, except in the basement where there is no facing.

I want to install a wood stove in my basement family room. Is it possible to tap into one of these unused flues to install a thimble and a cleanout door?

Old 12-21-03, 09:18 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Exclamation Chimney

I would say yes IF they do go all the way down to where you want to tap in. Are you sure they have the clay flue liner in them all the way down and not just false ones up there on the roof? ED

Old 12-21-03, 10:10 AM
M
Thanks for the reply. Yes, the unused flues do have a liner all the way down. When we bought the house I figured they were just fakes for looks but I've climbed onto the roof and looked down them. Why this was done I don't understand, other than to make the top of the chimney "look right."

Old 12-21-03, 10:24 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Lightbulb Flue

Id cut the hole for the smoke pipe about 2 ft down from the floor joist, Cement in a short piece of the pipe for the stove. This way you can take it out if you want or cap it. See how far down the flue goes and put a cleanout door in it at the bottom of the flue ED

Old 12-21-03, 10:51 AM
M
That's what I was hoping to be able to do. I have some masonry experience but nothing to do with fireplaces. I presume I can just drill and chisel the openings I need? And I will need some sort of high temperature mortar?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: