Deep pit under fireplace

Old 01-13-04, 10:44 AM
phillyguy
Visiting Guest
Deep pit under fireplace

I recently just bought a home in Philadelphia that was built around 1910. I was cleaning out the fireplace and I noticed a metal plate on the floor. When I pulled it out there was a 2 inch opening. When I shined a flashlight in the whole I saw a huge opening under the floor of the fireplace. The level below is the basement and it's got drywall over the stone foundation so I can't see the basement wall. I was wondering if that opening might be another fireplace in the basement that was abandoned and then covered up and if it's not that then why is there a huge opening below my fireplace?

Old 01-13-04, 11:22 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sounds more like a cleanout. In the basement, behind the drywall, there is most likely a small metal door. The idea was that you would open the metal plate, shovel the ashes into the hole, then remove them through the cleanout door in the basement. Keeps from making a mess in the living room.

Old 01-13-04, 11:30 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Lightbulb dump

Hey what you found is the ash dump. No there is not another fireplace under it. There could be a small steel door on its wall down in the basement. Its be behind the drywall now if its there.
This was so they could clean the fire place out and dump the ash down there and not through the home. This way like every month they would have it cleaned out, from the basement.You can find some of the other homes like this where the door for the dump in on the out side if it was up out of the ground some ED

Old 01-17-04, 08:14 PM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Re: Deep pit under fireplace

Originally posted by phillyguy
I recently just bought a home in Philadelphia that was built around 1910. I was cleaning out the fireplace and I noticed a metal plate on the floor. When I pulled it out there was a 2 inch opening. When I shined a flashlight in the whole I saw a huge opening under the floor of the fireplace. The level below is the basement and it's got drywall over the stone foundation so I can't see the basement wall. I was wondering if that opening might be another fireplace in the basement that was abandoned and then covered up and if it's not that then why is there a huge opening below my fireplace?
Philly, If you find yourself able to clean out your ash pit do so with a little care. As old as the house is, you very well may find a hidden treasure.....could be anything.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: