glass door

Old 01-19-04, 08:40 PM
mostwanted
Visiting Guest
glass door

the fireplace in the home we are buying has no door or screen. We will at least get a screen, but where can I get the glass doors? When I searched all I got was the ventless inserts. Are these doors difficult to install?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-04, 11:20 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Glass doors for fireplaces can be found at building supply houses, fireplace shops, etc. Call around.
They are easy to install. They are held in place by bolts tightened inside the fireplace against the brick walls.
Good Luck!

Old 01-20-04, 08:18 AM
B
Re: glass door

Originally posted by mostwanted
the fireplace in the home we are buying has no door or screen. We will at least get a screen, but where can I get the glass doors? When I searched all I got was the ventless inserts. Are these doors difficult to install?
OldGuy is right, very easy to install.
A tip: measure the Fireplace opening and then find a set of doors that extend that by 3-5 inches on top and sides. That allows for better insulation pack and reduces your homes heat loss thru the chimney. A little extra cost now can save you several hundred every winter.
Have the chimney inspected/cleaned by the sellers. And a copy of the receipt.

Old 01-20-04, 08:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Cool

bigbry nailed the "home that we're buying" that I overlooked. As bigbry suggested, try to get the seller to have the fireplace inspected, preferably by a professional chimney sweep company with a video camera.
If you're already under contract, you will probably have to pay for the inspection yourself, but may be able to negotiate the cleaning cost and certainly any repairs that may be necessary with the seller.
Three other things (if you aren't already doing them) BEFORE you close...(a) have a licensed pest control operator do a pest inspection, (b) get a licensed General Home Inspection of all structural and mechanical systems, and (c) get an attorney or title company to secure title insurance for you (good as long as you own the property).
These are one-time buyer-protection expenses that are worth every penny, whether they find anything (negotiate the correction by seller) or not (peace of mind).
In a standard real estate purchase agreement here, the buyer pays for inspections, and the seller pays for corrections.
All things are negotiable until once you close...then it's your baby, unless the seller has deliberately hidden a defect.
Good LucK!

Old 09-17-04, 01:53 PM
miragesea
Visiting Guest
I have an odd size opening in our fireplace. The opening is 28X29. Most of the glass doors I see at Home Depot or Lowe's are too large.
i would like a nice set of doors that extend no more than a couple of inches beyond the opening.
Does anyone know of a good place to shop online for fireplace doors that might have various sizes?