Chimney cleaning

Old 02-03-04, 02:21 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Chimney cleaning

I was going to brush out my chimney. My flue is clay, (re-done about 10 years ago) It is an oval shape 6x14. I bought a 6 inch round chimney brush. It is a tiny bit smaller then the opening, so I have to work it pretty hard to maintain contact with the flue tiles. It seems like if I had a bigger brush like say an 8 inch, the bristles would maintain better contact with the flue. On the box it says don't use a brush bigger then the size of your flue because it could get stuck. Should I buy an 8 inch brush? Do I have to worry about it getting stuck? Any other things I should worry about as I clean? Any advice would be appreciated

Brian

Old 02-03-04, 03:21 PM
B
Re: Chimney cleaning

Originally posted by brianl0646
I was going to brush out my chimney. My flue is clay, (re-done about 10 years ago) It is an oval shape 6x14. I bought a 6 inch round chimney brush. It is a tiny bit smaller then the opening, so I have to work it pretty hard to maintain contact with the flue tiles. It seems like if I had a bigger brush like say an 8 inch, the bristles would maintain better contact with the flue. On the box it says don't use a brush bigger then the size of your flue because it could get stuck. Should I buy an 8 inch brush? Do I have to worry about it getting stuck? Any other things I should worry about as I clean? Any advice would be appreciated

Brian
Well Brian, thats a tough size to clean. Depending on the type of Creosote you have in your chimney. Stick with the 6" brush and work it like crazy, take your time.
You can order different sizes through your local hardware store. If you plan on doing it yourself for a long period of time. Its worth the investment. The closest size brush to flue size is best.
Ive never had a brush get stuck but I've heard of a few. What a real pain!!! I have had a few disconnects, so make sure your rods are tightly connected and if you need to rotate the brush do so in the direction they tighten in.
Have you ever cleaned a chimney before? If not, I've got a alot more advice.

Old 02-03-04, 06:10 PM
B
I have never cleaned one before, so if you do have advice it would be appreciated.

Brian

Old 02-03-04, 07:57 PM
B
Originally posted by brianl0646
I have never cleaned one before, so if you do have advice it would be appreciated.

Brian
Okay, start with a cold stove/fireplace, close all dampers, or air intakes whether its a woodstove attached or a fireplace. Drop cloth in front of the "appliance" and surrounding furniture. Drop cloth the fireplace opening and seal with tape. If a woodstove, then drop cloth the stove and tape any loose stovepipe connections. Basically ANY openings that would allow soot to enter the room.
Whatever you are able to brush down MUST be removed. If this is an insert the stove will need to be removed out on an angle to get behind and access to the smokeshelf (behind the damper).
Generally a shop-vac with atleast two levels of filtration will be sufficiant to vacuum those areas where soot/creosote will gather after brushing.
Again if you plan on doing your own for years to come, buy the right equipment to start with. The old addage "right tool for the job" certainly applies here,
Observe all ladder safety measures. The cost of a chimney sweep is far less then a broken arm, leg, etc.....Or simply damage to property. And can you really put a price tag on the anger of your spouse ?...priceless!
I usually get about two phone calls per year asking," whats the best way to get soot/creosote out of my livingroom"

So Brian, Do it yourself or not, but get it done. Chimney fires can do alot of damage or even cost lives.

Hope this helps, any more? just ask.

Old 02-07-04, 08:22 AM
Clean a chimney

First Id ask what wood do you use in the fireplace? The wood should be about 1 year old or older. You will find that you dont get as much creosote in the flue. Then there is whats called CHIMNEY SWEEP. This comes in a spray a powder and a small log like. If you use this now and then you dont have to clean the flue out.It will stay clean. We use it all the time for fireplaces ,oil burners and gas units when they go wrong. ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: