wood stove problem

Old 02-13-04, 10:09 AM
kwick65
Visiting Guest
wood stove problem

i have a wood stove i installed 3 years ago. most every time that the wind comes from the west, and is over 25 mph. smoke comes into the house from the stove.

I have tried the damper in different open possitions, and none help. I do have the chimney pipe running up past the 10'- 2' rule, it is probably 4' higher than the ridge of the roof.

if i open a window next to the stove it eliminates the problem, but since i heat my house with this stove, that is not a permanent option.

any help or thoughts would be appreciated

i should probably add that it does not matter how hot the fire is in the box, and that i have triple wall pipe.

Old 02-13-04, 12:24 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Re: wood stove problem

Originally posted by kwick65
i have a wood stove i installed 3 years ago. most every time that the wind comes from the west, and is over 25 mph. smoke comes into the house from the stove.

I have tried the damper in different open possitions, and none help. I do have the chimney pipe running up past the 10'- 2' rule, it is probably 4' higher than the ridge of the roof.

if i open a window next to the stove it eliminates the problem, but since i heat my house with this stove, that is not a permanent option.

any help or thoughts would be appreciated

i should probably add that it does not matter how hot the fire is in the box, and that i have triple wall pipe.
This is probably a good instance when a directional swivel cap could be used. Unfortunatly it could also be money spent with no effect whatsoever.
What I do for customers is install them with the stipulation I could buy it back minus a small restocking charge. Perhaps you could find a sweep willing to do the same. For me its good business as that little "extra" has a way of getting around to others.

Old 02-14-04, 01:53 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
This is a lot like the fireplaces that we do. Put a outside air intake in for it. We build them in all the fireplaces here and like for the stove. Can you run a vent pipe to the out side and come up right under the stove and open it only when you need to?? That flue has to get air all the time from some where ????? ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: