Gas to wood

Old 02-22-04, 12:16 AM
Scott2589
Visiting Guest
Question Gas to wood

Just wondering if anyone has converted their gas fireplace to a wood fireplace. I wish I could rip mine out and put a new wood fireplace in. The cost to run gas is to high, but the cost to put in a wood one would probably be higher. I wish we had put in a gas/wood instead of just gas.

Old 02-22-04, 07:41 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: Scott2589. Welcome to the Do It Yourself web site.

Based on what I am reading in your question, the answer is no. If the fireplace and the chiminey where not built to handle the high temperatures, etc of a wood burning fireplace, only the gas log appliance is safe to use in it.

Old 02-22-04, 11:22 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You might check with the company that built it. Some gas units used the 3 wall pipe that can take wood . As i said check with the company that built it first to be sure. ED

Old 02-22-04, 02:51 PM
h.h.
Visiting Guest
Also check the depth of the box.Many gas boxes are built small on purpose.

Old 02-25-04, 06:51 PM
Scott2589
Visiting Guest
I know it wouldn't be possible to convert my gas to wood. My question was, what would it take to take out the whole gas fireplace and replace it with a wood fireplace? I called a place where they sell fireplaces and the guy laughed at me and said it would be expensive. Has anyone done this?

Old 10-16-04, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
To answer your question directly

It is not possible to replace your gas appliance with a wood burning one.

You would need to treat a wood burner in the same location as the gas one, as a completely new installation.

Because the flue temperature of wood is so high, and the risk of chimney fire so great, the components and clearances are not the same as for gas.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: