chimney removal

Old 02-29-04, 08:03 AM
knvt
Visiting Guest
chimney removal

Hi,
I just bought a house with a new working chimney, and an old unused chimney.
I would like to totally remove the old chimney from above the roof, thru the attic, out of the 1st and 2nd floor, and out of the basement.
I live in the New England area and was wondering about the difficulty and procedure of doing it myself?
Or perhaps a rough estimate of what something like that should cost, to see if it may be better to just hire someone to tackle it for me.
I am not talking about the patching of the roof, etc that comes along with it. But just the actual removal of the old chimney.

Thanks so much for any advice,

Sponsored Links
Old 02-29-04, 11:47 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Re: chimney removal

Originally posted by knvt
Hi,
I just bought a house with a new working chimney, and an old unused chimney.
I would like to totally remove the old chimney from above the roof, thru the attic, out of the 1st and 2nd floor, and out of the basement.
I live in the New England area and was wondering about the difficulty and procedure of doing it myself?
Or perhaps a rough estimate of what something like that should cost, to see if it may be better to just hire someone to tackle it for me.
I am not talking about the patching of the roof, etc that comes along with it. But just the actual removal of the old chimney.

Thanks so much for any advice,
Obviously from top to bottom. Take your time, make sure the chimney in no way is used to support any part of the house. Some old time builders would "tie-in" some portions of the structure. Especially where the 1st floor and chimney base meet.
Its hard work and time consuming. I've only seen a couple done and from what I was told...be ready for a suprise or two.
If its old and and the morter is crumbling its going to be easier.
Have the chimney cleaned, could really help in keeping down the dust, even if it had'nt been used in a long time.
VERY labor intensive.

Old 02-29-04, 05:48 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
All about like bigbry said. Not to bad a job lots of work. Like here code would call for a water hose on and off it from time to time to keep the dust down. ED